27. Uninvited Company

Stephen

To say that I was shocked to hear those words come out of Krys' mouth would be the understatement of the millennium. The word shock itself doesn't quite encompass the varying emotions I felt in that instance.

Not only was I shocked, I was dumbfounded as well. A bit fearful, and even a tad hopeful.  I honestly didn't know how to respond to what she said.

"Just friends?"

Hell if I know, and where the hell did that even come from?

Sure I still love her, probably never stopped. But I'm almost positive that being romantically involved with each other so soon after what happened is a very unwise choice.

It's obvious, to me at least, that Krys and I have some serious issues that we need to work through, regardless of our new "friend" status.

Thankfully, before anything else can be said, I'm saved by the bell.

Literally.

The doorbell rings and I hear my father get up to go and answer the door.

Before he opens it, I know in my gut that whoever is on the other side of that door is going to cause some sort of issue tonight.

I know a handful of people in this city personally, and none of them would ever have the audacity to come over to my place unannounced.

So, logically, whomever is on the other side of that door was invited here tonight by one of my parents.

And by "one of my parents", I mean my father.

My mother understands how personal and private a matter this is.

My father, not so much.

Krystina's head swivels in my direction, an accusing glare pointed at me. "You invited someone else over tonight?" She asks, more like accuses.

"No, actually, I didn't." I tell her, a bit of annoyance seeping into my voice. "I know how sensitive and important this whole evening is for all of us. I wouldn't invite anyone over to share in this moment. It's private."

Her eyes soften and quickly turn apologetic. Before she can speak however, the kitchen door is thrown open by my mother, who wears a similar expression to Krys.

"Mom? What's going on? Who was at the door?" I ask once I notice her sympathetic and panicked facial features.

"It seems as though your father took it upon himself to invite the rest of the family over to meet Bryan. Both of your brothers and their families are here." She tells me, anxiously fidgeting as she waits to see how I handle the news.

Krystina, ever the protective mother, beats me to it. "He did what!?!?" She whisper-screams, conscious of the other people, including our son, who are only just a few feet away. "Why would he do that? This is too much! It was supposed to be a quiet family dinner and movie. He was supposed to meet and familiarize himself with his grandparents only." She rants, now growing louder with every word that she speaks.

"I know Krystina, trust me, and I completely agree. I would never have thought to introduce you two to the whole family and overwhelm you all so soon. I'm really sorry dear."

"Why are you apologizing?" I say to my mother. "This is my place, and I don't want anyone else here except the people that were originally invited to share in this evening with us. I'll just go out there and politely tell my brothers, and hell, maybe even dad, that they shouldn't be here."

My mother starts fidgeting again at my words. "I'm not sure how well that's going to go over, especially with your father, but you can give it a try." She says shrugging and moving to the side so I can exit the kitchen.

In the living room, my father, brothers, and in-laws stand to the side while Bryan, my two nieces and my nephew play.

Upon seeing the happy expression on his face, I do a 180 and head back into the kitchen.

Both my mom and Krystina look up when I enter into the room.

"Well?" They both ask.

I swallow. "Umm, he's already been introduced to his cousins." I tell them.

Krystina sends a heated glare my way. "So?"

"Well, they're all playing like they're the best of friends. I know you don't want him to be overwhelmed, but he looks like he's having a great time."

She shakes her head. "This is just too much, too soon Steph." She says, giving me a pleading expression.

"Maybe not. Everyone's different. And maybe other kids might get overwhelmed at this whole instant family situation, but Bryan seems to be holding up just fine. More than fine, if you ask me." I tell her earnestly.

She looks at me, obviously at war with herself, before shaking her head again, this time in indecisiveness.

"C'mon Krys, trust me. He's fine. And even if he isn't, the damage has already been done. I'd hate to go in there now and have to separate them."

She heaves a deep sigh, before finally relenting. "Fine. But for the record, I really don't appreciate being bombarded like this, and we're definitely going to have to have a conversation with your father about this."

"I agree wholeheartedly." I tell her honestly as we walk out of the kitchen.

"Also, " she continues, "If Bryan ends up needing therapy after this, it's coming out of your pocket."

_______________________________________________________________________________

AN: This chapter is a bit shorter than I would've liked, but unfortunately, I'm a tad bit rusty after my hiatus.

I'll try to have the next chapter posted within two weeks, before I'm bombarded with school work.

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS CHAPTER

--------- 200 votes for the next chapter.