oo4. Not What We Seem

Greer stood in Emma's room and read the quotes stenciled around the top.

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

She took a deep breath. Naturally her sister would have encouraging words plastered everywhere, she was a life coach. It was her job to boost morale. Help people make good decisions and have a positive outlook.

Greer closed her eyes and leaned against the doorjamb. Everything had been so perfect for Ava. Great kid. Wonderful husband. Fabulous job. And from the crowd at the funeral, tons of friends.

A storybook existence where the girl from the wrong side of the tracks gets the prince and lives happily-ever-after.

If only she'd lived...

Shaking the thoughts away, she made the bed, piled brightly colored pillows on top, and a mass of stuffed animals against them. Once done, she brought in packing supplies from the garage. Emma would never know how box by box, all traces of her mom and dad were disappearing. Goodwill would come at noon to haul them away.

Once Greer finished with Evan's things, she'd start in Ava's closet.

That would be more difficult.

She and her sister had similar taste. Bohemian style bordering hard-core hippie. A residual effect from childhood.

Flower children of parents who had no TV, practiced free love, and smoked a little weed now and again. Greer herself had been kicked out of her own senior prom because her mother neglected to mention to her and her date that the brownies she baked were special.

It's a wonder she and Ava turned out stable. At least Ava had. The jury was still out on Greer.

Before she got started someone knocked. Maybe a wrong address, because other than a few people she'd met at the funeral, and her next door neighbor, she didn't know anyone in Fairhope. Peering through the peephole, she recognized the woman from the services.

She pulled the knob and eased the door open. "Hello."

"Hi. I don't expect you to remember me, but I'm Shari Elkins. We met at the memorial." She stuck out her hand and Greer clasped it.

"Yes, I remember. Please, come in."

The visitor focused on the boxes. "I won't stay but a minute. I see you're busy. Ava and I, along with two other mothers shared carpooling the kids to school. We were wondering if you wanted to continue. It's strictly up to you. If you do, next week would be your turn."

The coffeemaker gave a hiss signaling the brew was ready. "Would you like a cup of coffee?"

"Oh, I don't want you to go to any trouble."

"No trouble. I was about to have a cup. Besides, other than Emma and the man next door, I don't have anyone to talk to."

"In that case, I'll join you."

Greer walked into the kitchen. Shari followed and plopped down on a bar stool. "I've always loved this room. The morning light comes through the window and cheers the whole area. How are you making it?"

Greer poured the drinks and slid a mug across the bar, then claimed a stool for herself. "All right, I guess. Having this kind of responsibility is new. For most of my life, it's been just me, myself, and I. My sister left me some big shoes to fill."

Shari sipped then held her mug in midair. "I know this is hard for you. Losing your sister. Interrupting your life. Emma is lucky to have you."

"Thanks, but I think I'm the lucky one. She's such a sweet child. Ava and Evan were great parents. I'm terrified I won't measure up to their standards."