19. Love Affair

Almost two weeks since seeing Greer, and a bad mood followed Jackson around like a shadow. Even with a pile of work, intern search, and nightly basketball games at Ian's house weren't enough to block her from his mind. Those things exhausted him, so he wasn't losing sleep. But in two more days, he and Emma would go to the dance and the thought of seeing Greer cheered him.

He could call to let them know he remembered the date. Reasonable. Nail down the details. No. A text. More impersonal. Wouldn't want Greer to get the wrong idea which was really the right idea.

He wanted to talk to her.

See her.

Inch his way back into her life.

But if that happened, it'd be her decision. She'd rejected him and he wouldn't beg.

He swallowed the rest of his orange juice, rinsed the glass, and then stuck it in the dishwasher. The cookbook, still opened to the chocolate chip recipe, rested on a metal easel. Greer couldn't cook to save her soul. He chuckled. Maybe not, but she'd been eager to learn, and had done a good job. He couldn't recall ever dating a woman with worse culinary skills than his. But then again, he'd never dated a fortune teller who could scarf down a hamburger like a lumberjack. A child of unconventional parents. A person who didn't believe in marriage.

Talk about total opposites. A bad girl who liked bad boys might be the reason for the attraction, and he needed to purge her from his system. She didn't want him, but there were plenty of women who did. He pulled out his cell and scrolled through his contacts.

Thirty minutes later, he strolled into his office feeling better. Mom had been right about hiring someone. Even though Dad was doing well, she never intended for him to come back full time. So an intern would start on Monday.

Students fought for this opportunity because their degree plan required 5000 hours of structured training, and it usually resulted in a permanent job offer once they became licensed. A win-win situation for all concerned, and Jackson was ready. Two weeks shouldering all the responsibility had given him a taste of what work would be like once he took over the firm. Too much for one person.

Before he tackled the stack of duties, he texted Greer about the dance. It'd been a while since he'd attended a formal function, but remembered the rules. He'd ask the color of Emma's dress so he might get a corsage to match. The only flowers he'd purchased in the past few years were for his mother, but since becoming a regular customer at Affairs to Remember, they'd come up with something special for a six-year-old.

Greer answered the text straight and to the point.

Purple. Dance at 8. She'll be ready at 7:30.

He'd hoped for more, but with no small talk, that convinced him she'd closed the door on any chance. On the bright side. No need for confession which meant no more guilt. Another win-win. Which proved asking Lauren out had been the right decision.

Leaning back in his chair he thought of his last date with the spunky strawberry blonde. She was the kind of girl who wasn't ready to settle down, which was fine with him. Good time chicks were the best. A guy knew what to expect.

A nice meal. A few drinks. Hot sex. Quick exit.

No expectations.

No drama.

*

Jackson's text rattled Greer. She hated missing him so much, but his curt inquiry proved he didn't miss her. Probably didn't even think about her. But what should she expect? She'd been the one to send him away, and he'd abide by her wishes. Her shoulders slumped. Wishes. She'd buried those deep in her heart and had to keep them there. Locked like a dark secret because letting them surface would do no good.