22. Sail

Blurry eyed, Jackson stared at the clock, then rolled to his back and gazed at the ceiling. Two weeks since he'd seen Greer and shared a drink with her friend, Blake. Because of what Jackson learned about the couple's love story, and how Greer had been a part of the deception, surprised him. Blake encouraged him to pursue Greer. Sure, he'd be risking heartbreak. Even if he asked, she might leave anyway. But what if she didn't?

How would he ever know if he didn't try? Emma already liked him; that had to count for something. And once the truth came out, Greer would admit there wasn't as much difference between them as she thought. An architect and a tarot princess had more in common than a reader and minister.

He swung feet to floor and rested his elbows on his knees. No time to think about his love life. He'd promised to mow his parent's lawn. Dad had always insisted on doing the yardwork, but since being diagnosed with angina, the doctor had ordered no exertion for a while. The grass had two weeks growth. Besides, the exercise might do Jackson some good.

An hour later, with each strip he cut, his brain played the manly version of she loves me, she loves me not. One minute he thought the attraction was one-sided, and the next mutual. His imagination? Sure. Why else cancel the meetings? She'd said to make leaving easier, but if he convinced her to stay longer, say thought the summer, maybe she'd change her mind.

It was the logical thing to do. She had a house here. Emma was happy. And if Greer didn't have family or Andreas waiting in Atlanta, the transition should be easy. Blake pointed out both of her best friends were married, so it wasn't as if she had a regular posse to hang out with in the singles scene.

But then again, she hated Fairhope. A big problem. The bad boy syndrome posed another threat. Jackson had let his hair grow longer. Add some piercings, and additional tattoos, then she might be more interested. He chuckled, made the last pass with the mower and reminded himself, no permanent relationship for her. Didn't believe they were possible. She was all about casual sex. If he continued to see her he'd care more, and it'd be Julie all over again. Best to leave well enough alone. Greer was right. Break all ties and move on.

He killed the engine, rolled the mower to the shed already happy about his decision. Starting tomorrow, like the last two weeks, he'd be swamped at work, with plenty to keep her off his mind.

After he put the mower away, he walked back to the front of the house. His mother came from Ian's place with the twins in tow. Lila reached for him.

"Sorry, baby. I'm hot and sweaty. Let me get washed up and I'll take you." He went to the faucet, picked up the garden hose, and ran a gentle stream over his face. The twins broke free and toddled to him. He spread his thumb over the end of the tube and sent a spray into the air. Both girls ran in circles, raised their arms to catch the drops and giggled.

"Jackson! You're soaking them! Stop!" Mom threw her hands up, but when he aimed the spew toward her, she stepped back. "You'd better not get me wet."

He looked down at his nieces. "Think we should give BeBe a bath?"

She retreated and narrowed her eyes. "You wouldn't dare."

"Oh, wouldn't I?" He pointed the hose and a fine mist showered down.

She screamed and jumped back, but he followed. The toddlers laughed and ran to keep up. Sunlight broke through the clouds and even the trees seemed greener. Damn, about the time he pushed Greer from his mind, Mother Nature reminded him of her.

*

A few weeks ago, hearing from Andreas would have sent Greer's heart into a spin, but not now. He'd called to say how he liked Vegas and missed her. Yeah, right. Before the conversation ended, he'd asked her to mail a package to him. Once she returned to Atlanta, she could pick it up from the guy who'd bought the tattoo shop. Some old designs from Andreas's early years, before he put everything on computer. Funny, she never considered him the sentimental type, but he'd said they were important, so she agreed.