13. Missing You

The week dragged, and by Wednesday Jackson didn't think of Greer every hour. Knee deep in a colonial mansion project, and conferring with Hap Coltrane for two days kept him busy, and now Mrs. Coltrane wanted a meeting. Once their house was finished, a million dollar budget might not be enough.

Curious about Greer's visitor, he wondered if they were male or female. Since she didn't give him details, it made him think—man, or more appropriate, bad boy. Just as well because there would be nothing between them other than friendship. Long distance relationships didn't work, and she had no intention of considering a home in Fairhope.

On the other end of that scale, he didn't plan to leave.

He'd also not heard from Halley. She was angry or avoiding him. Either way, no new sightings since he'd left the message. And Julie had not contacted him again, so his women trouble seemed in control.

His cell chimed. He looked at caller ID. Damn, so much for resolving his female dilemma. Pressing the phone to his ear, he sucked in a deep breath. "Hello."

"How dare you think I'm stalking you!"

"Calm down. I didn't say that."

"You insinuated. Same thing."

"Wasn't my intention."

Her tone softened. "It hurts my feelings you'd think that."

"It looked like your car."

"I forgive you."

Funny, he didn't recall asking for any, but best to keep any snarky remarks to a minimum, so he said nothing.

"Are you free for lunch?"

What was going on with her? Felt like a set-up. "Not a good idea."

"Why?"

"Because I don't want to." That might have been too harsh, but he needed to be stern. Not let her have any chance to misinterpret his feelings. The sound she made caused his chest to tighten. "Are you crying?"

"I need to talk to you. We have unresolved issues."

"No, we don't."

"Okay then. Not you. Me. I have unanswered questions."

"Like what?"

"Can I come in and talk?"

Jumping from his chair, he sprinted to the reception area, then peeked through the window. Holy hell. She was in the parking lot! "You're here?"

"Yes."

Nellie gave him one of her what the hell is going on looks. He shrugged. "Fine, come in." Then he ran back to his office, plopped down into his chair, and shuffled papers as if he'd been there the whole time.

Halley appeared in the doorway. Eyes red and watery, he motioned to a chair, and she slid onto the seat. "Thank you for seeing me."

He stretched his lips tight and released a breath. "I don't know what good it will do. I've been clear about my feelings."

Leather squeaked as she scooted to the edge of the chair. "What did I do wrong?" The words came out shaky and tears rolled down her cheeks.

He hated when women cried, especially one he didn't want to console.

"I mean, I was affectionate. Supportive. I took pride in how I looked." Her breath hitched, and she glared in a way he'd not seen before.

Scary.