12. Seeking You

Jackson thought about the things Greer said to him. If she only knew what kind of person he really was, she'd never want to see him again. But it wasn't like he'd not tried to set things straight. He had. More than once. Lately, his life seemed like a bad B-movie, where he'd sit and yell at the screen when characters avoided what needed to be said or explained. Why couldn't they spit it out? Well, now he understood.

At least he didn't have to worry about her getting the truth from someone else. She didn't know anybody, so that was one less complication.

He walked around to the other side of the bed and picked a long dark strand from the pillow. How he'd love to run his fingers through those curls. Crush them in his hands. Pull her face in close... he stopped. Regardless of the attraction, he couldn't allow feelings to develop. He smoothed the cover and something dropped to the floor. An earring. Stuffing the stud in his pocket, he forced his mind on work and headed to the office.

He worked all day catching up on everything he'd been neglecting because of his two-hour lunches. If he put in weekend time, maybe Dad wouldn't consider him a slacker.

His phone rang. He looked at caller ID and his heart shifted gears. "Hey. How was the lock-in?"

"Her exact words—totally awesome. Hasn't stopped talking about it. Sounds like her vocal performance was a big hit."

"Wish I could have seen it."

"You can. I ordered a copy of the video. What are you doing?"

"Nothing as exciting as watching you dance." He chuckled.

"Are you making fun?"

"No. I thought you had some great moves, especially when you discovered your little partner. I think you invented some new ones. Certainly some I've never seen before."

"Smartass."

He laughed harder. "What are you up to?"

"I don't know if I've told you or not, but I don't cook, so I can't invite you over for a meal. But Emma and I would love to take you out."

"Sounds great, but I can't tonight."

"Oh." She didn't say anything else, so Jackson jumped back in.

"I'm meeting an old drinking buddy. The guy who owns the place where we were last night. My way of thanking him for the atmosphere."

"Some other time, then."

"Yeah. Tell Emma hello for me."

"Sure. Bye. Oh, and have fun tonight."

"Thanks." He ended the call and stared at his phone. The excitement of hearing her voice surprised him. He collapsed into his chair. What was he going to do? He couldn't let himself get interested in her. If he did, he was setting himself up for heartbreak. Shit. He turned his attention back to his computer. Work. He needed to concentrate on work.

By four o'clock, he finished the first draft for his new client, Hap Coltrane. He wanted an extreme contemporary plan, and although the style wasn't Jackson's strong point, he thought he'd come up with something the guy would approve. Storefront windows. Metal roof and siding. Concrete countertops. Douglas fir ceilings. The house featured five fireplaces, swimming pool, media room, and an attached apartment home.

The place looked like a golf course club house, but he'd given the man everything he'd asked for. At almost a million dollar budget, he didn't have to cut corners.