16. Real Men Bake Cookies

It took every ounce of willpower Greer could muster to pull away from Jackson. Mom was right. Greer had seen it in his eyes. Desire. She'd been with enough men to recognize the look, guys nothing like him. And that scared the shit out of her. He could already steal her breath with a glance. If he kissed her, no doubt he'd take her heart, too. No, her earlier decision was best. Cut as many ties with him as possible.

"You don't have to sit all the way across the room."

His voice jarred her back to the situation. She'd chosen a chair instead of the sofa. Because if he came close to a liplock, she might cave and that would be a disaster. One kiss wouldn't be enough. Who was she kidding? A million wouldn't be.

"That's okay. I can sit here."

He patted the area next to him. "Oh, come on."

She let the words roll around in her brain for a second, then rose and joined him. No need to make him mad. He'd been so great to counsel with her every day, he probably figured she owed him a kiss or two. No. He'd never expect that. What he did was out of the goodness of his heart because he was a decent man.

"I apologize for being such a blubbering idiot earlier. I get overwhelmed some times. For Emma's sake, I try to keep it together but don't always succeed."

He took her hand, and she let him. And shouldn't have because he gave her fingers a squeeze, then ran his thumb over her knuckles and she caught fire.

His pupils darkened with a hint of disappointment when she pulled her hand free. "So what are we watching?" Better to ignore whatever was happening between them, and something was for sure. A crackle of electricity strong enough to cause a city-wide blackout. Damn, that's all she needed, no power and nothing to do but him. God help her.

He palmed the remote. "Let's see. How about Batman Begins? That was my first date movie after I got my license."

She jerked her head toward him. "How old are you?"

"Twenty-six. Why? How old are you?"

"Maybe we should look for something more recent."

He chuckled. "You're not forty, are you?"

She swatted him. "Do I look forty? And you'd better be careful of the answer, if you know what's good for you."

He laughed, that same deep mellow tone that came from deep in his chest, and he looked so adorable, she wanted to hug him.

"I'm twenty-four, thank you very much."

"I knew it. How about Fifty Shades of Gray?"

She tilted her head and rolled her eyes. "Padre, you should be ashamed of yourself. Besides, I've seen it and really don't get what all the fuss was about."

He continued to scroll the selections. "Paul Blart, Mall Cop?"

"No. Go back. Go back. More. More. There. Avatar."

"Not what I expected. I figured I'd have to suffer through a chick flick."

Pleased with her choice, she breathed easier. A story about a paraplegic and blue people surely wouldn't spark any romantic emotions. She gasped. How could she be so unfeeling? "Oh, I'm sorry. Will it make you uncomfortable because of your brother?"

"Not at all. I just thought you'd go more for a love story."

"They usually deal with happily-ever-after, which is totally unrealistic."