10. More Beginnings Than Endings

A few blocks from his office, Jackson sat at a corner table in Shanghai Cottage and stared out the window. It was the first time in days he'd eaten alone, but because of the evening plans with Greer, he'd agreed to skip their regular lunch meeting. Just as well, guilt plagued him for taking such long breaks during his work day.

He admitted he'd gotten used to seeing her and looked forward to it. She was different from any girl he'd dated. The word stopped him. Dating? Ridiculous. That wasn't what they were doing. Not sure what to call it, but definitely not that.

If she planned to be a permanent resident, he'd pursue her, but since she wasn't, he couldn't let himself get more involved. Or could he? Or was he already? He got a rush when he saw her and felt better after their time together. Maybe the best thing was to forget the confession, declare her cured of anxiety, and go their separate ways. That'd be easier.

The waitress set a plate in front of him, then laid a fortune cookie next to his drink. "You need anything else?"

"No, thank you."

She tore his ticket from her pad, laid it on the table and strolled away.

Picking up an egg roll with one hand, he palmed his phone with the other. It'd been years since he'd planned a picnic, so for the evening to go well, he needed a list. Wine. Glasses. Cheese. Crackers.

Across the street, a brightly painted van pulled to the red light. On the side, written in pink, Affairs to Remember. Specializing in feasts, flowers, and forever. Talk about a stroke of luck. With one phone call, he could solve his problem. Tonight, he'd share a nice meal and beautiful sunset. Then he'd end the counseling sessions and be off the hook. She'd return to Atlanta, and for him, life would go on as always.

He'd barely finished all his internal questions when someone tapped him on the shoulder. He looked up to meet Halley's eyes.

She smiled. "Well, hey there."

"Hey yourself. What are you doing here?"

"I'm meeting a client, but I'm early. Mind if I join you?"

She didn't wait for an answer, just slid onto a chair, and rested her arms on the table. Jackson searched for something to say, but came up short, so he continued to eat. Good excuse. Wasn't polite to talk with a full mouth.

Long, tension-laden seconds ticked by as she drummed her fingers against the vinyl covered table top. Finally, her eyes widen and she spoke. "I got the spa job."

He raised his napkin and wiped the corners of his mouth. "That's good."

Awkward silence hung between them again. What the hell should he say? Long time, no see? It'd only been days. He took a bite of rice. How are getting along? That sounded as if he thought she couldn't do without him. How's work? She'd already mentioned that. Damn. "Nice weather, huh?" Shit.

She smiled again. "I get it. This is uncomfortable for me, too. But it shouldn't be. We're friends. Aren't we?"

"I'd like to think so."

"Well, we are. So if you aren't busy tonight, I'd love to cook dinner for you." She held up her hand. "Before you get all philosophical on me, no strings."

"Not a good idea. Besides, I have plans."

She leaned forward, face pinched. "Oh, I didn't think you'd be seeing someone this soon. But I shouldn't be surprised. You're a great guy."

Sipping his tea, he tried to make light of the situation. "It isn't like that. I'm not dating." Didn't know why he felt compelled to explain. He didn't owe her anything. He should have said he was seeing someone, because the glimmer of hope in her eyes when she'd offered to cook, told him she'd not given up on reconciliation.