32. Chapters of Happily Ever After

Twenty chapters into the novel, Greer discovered the sweetest love story she'd read in a long time. There wasn't much steam to it, but written in 1960, she didn't expect any. Allen and Charlotte were total opposites. Farm boy from meager means meets city girl with family wealth. They might as well have been oil and water. At least that's what one would think, but they were perfect for each other. He worshiped her and in return she loved him with her whole heart.

He wrote her poetry. She sang him songs. They danced in the moonlight and counted stars. He picked her flowers. She baked him cookies.

It all sounded so familiar and Greer wanted to see Jackson more than ever. With that final thought, she closed the book, and drifted into sleep.

By noon the next day, she'd finished the book and looked forward to Mr. Mooney's visit. She'd replenished her liquor cabinet so he wouldn't miss his regular dose of bourbon. Even bought an extra bottle, but no need offering it to the old man. His routine was as much about loneliness as getting free booze.

She took a moment to consider that. Would she be alone at that age? According to Jackson, she would, unless she changed. He didn't know what he was talking about. What did he think she'd done since her sister died? Greer's entire world had turned upside down. She'd given up everything. Her home. Business. Friends. Her heart was the only thing left intact. Or was it?

Medusa strolled into the kitchen and pushed her bowl around on the floor. Metal scraping across tile must have sounded like a dinner bell because Mordecai sprinted into the room to join her.

"Okay, okay. I know you're hungry. Give me a minute." Greer made quick work of opening cans and dividing organic chicken between the dishes. She couldn't help but laugh. Kitten chicken. Funny. "Here you go."

The pets had been a good choice. Emma loved them and she always had playmates. If only Greer could make other decisions as easily. Especially concerning Jackson. Should she contact him?

From the porch, she watched Mr. Mooney amble up the sidewalk, cup in one hand and a cigar in the other. "You're right on time."

"Punctuality is about all I have left going for me. Besides, don't want to mess up your schedule for the school run."

He took the wicker chair next to Greer's and she opened the bottle. "Emma's going home with a friend, so today I'm all yours, and I'm going to join you." She filled his cup, then picked up a glass from the floor and poured herself two fingers.

He took a drink, then released a breath. "Damn, that's good stuff." He brought the cigar to his lips, inhaled and blew the smoke toward heaven. "Great, because we have something to celebrate. Harold got the grandparents to drop the lawsuit. You're free to do as you please."

Greer's breath froze in her throat. "What?"

"Yep. He dug up enough dirt on the old guy to get you anything you want. Seems he's got a secret kid the wife doesn't know about."

"Are you serious?"

"I wouldn't joke about this. I know how important it is to you."

She rose from her chair and threw her arms around his neck. "Thank you, thank you, thank you. For once, I get good news."

"So I guess this means you'll be leaving."

Greer flopped back onto her seat. "I don't think so. Fairhope isn't unbearable. The heat and tropical storms are awful, but sunsets and being close to a beach give it a certain charm. And those sandwiches at the drive-in aren't bad either. Oh, I finished the book."