prologue

A loud pattering of feet was the only sound heard in the empty hallway. Around the corner appeared a small boy, a stack of books held tightly in his arms and a backpack slung loosely off of one shoulder. His eyesight was blurred as he ran towards his first period class, which caused him to be oblivious to the tall blonde that was standing in his way. Their chests collided as the smaller boy fell to the ground, his books scattering and his bag skidding away.

"I'm sorry, I was just trying to get to class without being late again, I don't need to get another detention this semester, my dad will kill me." The boy stumbled around as he collected his books and gathered his backpack. When he glanced up he froze, the blood leaving his face. It was Lachlan Power.

Lachlan just smirked, reaching his hand out to help the boy to his feet. "So what's your name cutie?"

The smaller ignored his hand and stood up on his own, readjusting his backpack and moving his books around. "My name? Uh, my name is Vikram, but most people call me Vik." Vik's eyes fell to the ground, his feet shuffling.

Lachlan was quiet for a moment. "Hm, a cute name for a cute boy, if I do say so myself."

Vik's head shot up, biting back a reply as he watched Lachlan smirk and turn, walking back in the direction Vik needed to go. He sighed and waited for Lachlan to disappear from view before he followed, dipping into the small hallway that held the classroom his first period was in.