chapter twelve

There was a knock on the door, interrupting the movie we had been watching. I just sighed and got up nodding to Josh and Simon who were cuddled up on the love seat while I had been sitting on the couch.

I walked through the house to the front door, unlocking it and swinging it open to reveal a familiar blonde in all black. My jaw dropped as I gazed up at him, my brown eyes meeting his blue. "Lachlan? What are you doing here?"

Lachlan's gaze dropped to the floor, his fingers clutching the bottom of his leather jacket and his heavy motorcycle boots scuffing the ground. "I want to know why you left me. I thought you liked me."

I sighed, glancing behind me to see Josh and Simon looking at me quizzically. I waved them off and stepped outside, shutting the door behind me. The air was a bit chilly and I was only wearing a pair of short pajama shorts and a thin shirt. I rubbed my hands along my arms and looked at Lachlan sadly, "I'm afraid if I tell you I'll make you hate your friends, and I don't want that. They're much more important than I'll ever be."

Lachlan's eyebrows knitted in confusion as he looked at me again, "Vik tell me what they did to you."

My eyes landed on the floor, catching a glance of my white painted toenails. I felt Lachlan's finger under my chin as he lifted my head to look at him. His eyes were pleading, worry dancing in his blue orbs. My voice dropped to a whisper, "They said I'd pay for distracting you from them and then they beat me until I passed out."

Anger and concern flowed through Lachlan's eyes as his finger left my chin and his arms wrapped around my torso, pulling me close to him and resting his chin on my head. "I'm so sorry they did that to you, Vikky, you didn't deserve that. You're not the reason I've been distracted from them, it's their own damn fault. They've become assholes and not the friends I once had."

Tears filled my eyes and I gripped onto Lachlan's shirt, my head resting against his chest so that I could hear his heartbeat. "I'm sorry I left. I didn't want you to worry."

He pulled away a bit, one of his hands coming up to rest on my cheek. "Vik I'm always going to worry about you. We aren't even together yet and I still care so much about you."

I smiled small, leaning up on my tip toes so that my lips were centimeters from his, "Yet?"

Lachlan smiled and pushed his lips against mine. When he pulled away his eyes were sparkling, "Yet."