chapter eight

I sat on the swing in the empty park, my suitcase sitting on the ground next to me. I pushed off the ground a bit with my feet, slowly swinging back and forth as I tried to figure out where I was going to go. I couldn't go back to Lachlan's and I definitely couldn't go back home, but I needed some place to stay for the night at least.

"Vik?"

I turned around to where the voice came from, spotting Simon standing a few feet away, his hair now pulled up into a beanie. I smiled small, waving to the swing next to me for him to sit. "Hey Simon."

Simon sat on the swing, arms wrapping around the chains. "What are you doing in an empty park with a suitcase?"

I sighed, glancing at my feet as I played with the hem of my pale orange skirt. "I left home because my father is a homophobic, transphobic asshole and I was staying with my boyfriend, but I can't stay there anymore."

Simon's face filled with concern. "So you don't have a place to stay?"

I shook my head, kicking at the mulch. I glanced up to see Simon smiling. "Why don't you stay with me for a bit?"

My eyes widened at his words, "But you just met me. Aren't you afraid I'm some insane serial killer?"

Simon laughed, shaking his head. "I don't think insane serial killers wear pastel skirts and flower crowns."

I giggled, thinking for a moment. I mean I could just try it for one night and if something goes wrong I can just find a hotel. I looked at Simon and nodded, "Okay, I'll come stay with you for a while."

Simon's face lit up as he jumped up and grabbed my hands, "Yay! Now we can have a sleepover and you can meet my boyfriend and we can stay up late and play truth or dare and build pillow forts and binge watch Netflix and-"

"Simon!" He stopped jumping. "We have to actually get to your place first."

He laughed, walking around me and handing me my suitcase. "Okay, well we can just walk there cause its not too far."

I nodded, following Simon as he walked back through the park and into a neighborhood.

We walked for about 5 minutes before we came upon a small little house. Simon walked up to the door, pulling out his keys and unlocking the door. He waved me in before calling out to someone.

"Babe I'm home!"

I heard someone running down the stairs and footsteps coming towards the front door before a familiar face walked through the doorway.

My face dropped, "Josh?"