chapter seven

My eyelids felt heavy as I slowly opened them, gazing around the empty hallway where I lay. I glanced at the clock on the wall above the lockers to see the bell was about to ring, so I picked up my bag, shoving everything inside, making sure no blood was on the floor before I stumbled my way to the front of the school. I wiped the blood off my mouth as it ran down my chin, the metallic taste pooling around my tongue.

When I got outside it was raining, the sound calming my nerves as I made my way to Lachlan's house. My phone started to ring, but I just left it in my pocket, not wanting to be bothered with talking to anyone right now.

As I was walking down the side of the street I wasn't paying attention causing me to run into someone. I fell backward onto the ground, hearing another thump of the other person falling next to me. I looked up to see a tall girl with blonde hair and blue eyes, although she was wearing black joggers and a black shirt that said SDMN in white. Her eyes reminded me of Lachlan's.

"I-I'm so sorry, I w-wasn't looking where I was going." She stood up, putting her hand out to pull me up next to her, making me realize how tall she was compared to me. She glanced down at my skirt and I waited for the weird comments, only to be shocked by what she asked. "I don't mean to be rude, but are you gender-variant?" I guess she saw that I was shocked because she immediately started apologizing afterward. "I-I'm sorry, I s-shouldn't have a-asked, I was j-just wondering 'cause I'm trans."

I smiled at her, shaking my head a little. "No it's okay, I'm actually non-binary. I was just expecting you to say something mean."

Her face turned to shock. "Oh no, I would never. You actually are super cute in a skirt by the way."

I giggled, my face heating up. "Thanks, I just got it the other day. My name's Vik by the way."
She smiled, putting her hand out for me to shake. "Well hello Vik, most know me as Samantha because I'm not out to everybody, but you can call me Simon."

I smiled again, shaking his hand. "Well Simon, it was nice talking to you but I really have to go."
His face dropped a little. "Oh okay. Well, can I at least have your number so I can talk to you later? It would be nice to have another person to talk to who knows my gender struggles."

I nodded, pulling my phone out, unlocking it and opening contacts, ignoring the 5 missed calls from Lachlan. After he put his number in, Simon waved and started walking again. I smiled, waving back before going back on my way to Lachlan's house.

As I approached the house, my face dropped to see that Lachlan was already home, his bright red motorcycle sitting in the driveway. Well, there goes my plan of sneaking away unnoticed.

I made my way up to the front door, pushing it open before quietly going upstairs. I walked into Lachlan's room to see him lying on his bed facing the window. His tall figured turned over when he heard me enter the room, his face showing so much emotion.

"Vik," I walked over to the bed, stopping a foot away. "What happened?"

I shook my head, looking down at the ground.

"Vik, please." I felt him grab my chin, pulling my head up to look at him. "What happened to you?"

I just shook my head again, pulling away from him and stepping next to my suitcase which was on the ground still closed. "Lachlan I need to go."

I refused to look at him but I could tell he was confused. "What? Why Vik?"

"I can't tell you. I-I just need to leave, I can't stay with you." I bit my lip as I picked up my suitcase, walking towards the door. "You need to go back to how you were before you met me okay? Just-" A small sob broke through my lips as I was talking. "Just forget you ever knew me okay?"

I was almost out the door before I felt arms wrap around my waist and my body being turned around. I looked up into the blue eyes I loved. "Vik, just please tell me why you're leaving me, please."

My bottom lip quivered as I shook my head, pushing away from Lachlan and walking back out into the rain, my suitcase dragging behind me. I didn't look back but I could feel Lachlan watching me as I walked away. But it was better this way. Lachlan would be better off without me anyway.