chapter ten

I keep running, my vision blurry, my legs stinging as I make my way through the forest. I don't know where I'm going but I know I have to keep running. I trip over a rotting branch, twisting my left ankle. I scream out in pain, wrapping my slender fingers around my ankle.

I hear a twig crack so I use my good foot to scoot backwards into a bush behind me, trying to conceal myself the best I can. There's a loud thumping sound as the thing that was following me pounded past, completely missing me.

I let out a sigh of relief, pulling up my pant leg to inspect the damage to my ankle. Its swollen and is turning black and blue.

After waiting a few more minutes to make sure what ever was following me wasn't coming back this way, I slowly made my way out of the bush, limping heavily. I walked back the way I came, trying to figure out where I was. This place was nowhere near anywhere I recognized, making me wonder how in the hell I got here. The last thing I remember is falling asleep on Simon's couch while we were playing COD.

I walked for about an hour before I reached the edge of the forest which led out to a cliff overhanging the ocean, the sun just setting over the water.

I wobbled over to the edge, pain shooting up through my leg with each step. I sat down on the overhang, my feet dangling off the edge as I watch the sun set and the sky turn dark. I sighed, swinging my legs. I grab a nearby stone and threw it down to the ocean, hearing the satisfying plop sound as it hit the water's surface.

All of the sudden there was a loud sound behind me, my head snapping around to locate where the sound came from.

A few seconds later a figure came crashing through the forest toward me. I stood up and faced the figure, waiting for them to look up so I could see their face, but as soon as they did, I wished I hadn't looked.

"Lachlan?"

Lachlan looked at me, his blue eyes dancing around my face. His voice came out garbled and demonic when he spoke, "Hello Vikram."

I took a step back, feeling the very edge of the cliff beneath my feet. "Lachlan? What are you doing here?"

He smiled, but it wasn't my Lachlan's cheeky grin, this Lachlan gave me a devilish smirk, the usual spark in his eyes missing, replaced with an evil glint. He took a step closer. "I've come to do what I should have done the first time I met you."

I gulped, wanting to move back more but being unable to because of lack of earth flooring behind me. I tried to keep calm, but my voice came out trembled. "What do you mean?"

Lachlan kept walking towards me, his smirk never leaving his face. "What I mean dear Vikram, is I should've gotten rid of you right off the bat. But I thought I'd have a little fun with you first. Seeing as my plan didn't work, I guess I can finish the job off." He took one long step towards me so that we were standing chest to chest. "Goodbye Vikram."

And with that I was shoved off the cliff, falling down to the sharp rocks and crashing waves below. I took once last glance at Lachlan as I fell to see him laughing as he watched me fall.

A tear escaped my eye as my back hit the water and my vision went black.