chapter three

Nothing but constant stares and whispering. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

I had decided to wear the outfit my mom bought me yesterday to school, but now I'm regretting that I even thought of it. It's 5th period and I've already gotten glares, stares, insults thrown at me, tripped multiple times, and pushed into the lockers. I had tried looking for Lachlan but I couldn't find him anywhere. Maybe that was best though. I have no idea how he'll react to me in a skirt, and I haven't seen him since we kissed yesterday.

As soon as the bell rung I bolted from my seat and out the door before anyone had a chance to react. I ran through the halls, making my way outside and to the big oak, sliding down the trunk to a sitting position. Once I was sitting I let the tears I was holding back flow down my cheeks. It was bad enough that everyone out casted me for being the pastel queer kid, but now everyone thinks I'm a freak too. I wrapped my arms around my legs and shoved my face into my knees as I cried.

I don't know how long it was until I felt a pair of arms wrap themselves around me. I looked up to see Lachlan looking down at my with warmth and sympathy shining in his eyes. "L-Lachlan? W-What are y-you doing?"

Lachlan's arms wrapped tighter around me. "I heard about what happened earlier. I tried to find you but nobody knew where you went, and so I came to the only place I could think of that you'd be, and that was here."

I wiped the tears off my face with the backs of my wrists. "But why are you hugging me? Aren't you going to laugh at me like everyone else?"

Lachlan pulled away, a bit of hurt shown in his eyes but quickly went away. "Do you really think I would laugh at you? Even after yesterday?"

I looked down at the ground in between my feet. "I don't know. It wouldn't be the first time someone pretended to like me."

Lachlan sighed, grabbing my chin and turning me to look at him. "Well I'm not pretending." He leaned over and pecked me on the cheek, then the nose, then the lips, turning my whole face blood red. He looked thoughtful for a moment before opening his mouth and asking, "How about we skip the rest of the day? I have a place I want to take you."

I thought about the offer, and what my mom would say once I got home. "I guess, but I have to be home at the same time I normally am or I'll be in major trouble."

Lachlan nodded, standing up and holding out his hand for me to take. He lead me from the back of the school to the side where the student parking lot was. We walked for a few more minutes until we got to a crimson red motorcycle. "Are you okay with motorcycles?"

I nodded. "My uncle has motorcycles that he used to let me ride with him."

Lachlan smiled, handing me a helmet before getting on the bike. I looked at the helmet before putting it on. It had blue and red stars on both sides, the rest of the helmet was black. I slid the helmet onto my head and climbed on behind Lachlan, carefully making sure my skirt didn't come up. I felt the motorcycle roar to life beneath me as we jolted forward, turning out of the parking lot and onto the road.

I felt a smile come to my face as we were riding, memories of riding with my uncle coming back to me. As I felt the wind against my face more memories came to me, these ones more dark. Memories of when I was riding on the back of the brand new Harley my uncle had bought. The tire screeches and the feeling of being tossed off the bike and into the grass on the side of the road. I remember that was the day I started wearing glasses, cause my vision had gotten messed up. I remember being rushed to the hospital, the sirens, the screaming, the crying, the death. That was the day my uncle died, and the day my father changed. My uncle was my dad's best friend. And he blamed me for his death, and eventually so did I, because I had been riding with him, and I made it out with a few broken limbs and vision loss, but I was still alive. However, my uncle had gotten pierced all the way through the stomach with a thick piece of metal. So why should I have gotten to live while my uncle had to die?

I'm pulled from my thoughts when I feel someone shaking my shoulder. I shake my head and glance up, meeting Lachlan's worried gaze. "Are you okay Vik? You spaced out all the way here?"

I just nodded, getting off the bike to stand next to him and sliding the helmet off my head and setting it on the seat. "Yeah, I'm fine, I was just thinking."

Lachlan gave me a worried smile before reaching for my hand and pulling me into a forest.
I looked around, seeing that we seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. "Are you sure you're not just some psycho teenager leading me to my death?"

Lachlan looked back at me, a playfulness in his eyes. "Maybe. Or maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic looking to impress his crush."

My faced turned red as I heard Lachlan giggle. You'd think hearing a punk person in all black with piercings giggle would be weird, but it's actually just adorable.

We stopped walking and Lachlan stood behind me and covered my eyes. "We're almost there and I want it to be a surprise."

The two of us stumbled through the forest for a bit longer until we stopped again. "Okay, I'm gonna uncover your eyes now, but keep them closed until I say, okay?"

I nodded, closing my eyes as I felt his hands slip off my eyes. I swirled my skirt around, feeling the slight breeze blowing on the top of my legs.

"Okay, open them in 3, 2, 1!"

I opened my eyes to see a beautiful lake with a tree near it that had a small house build in the branches. My jaw dropped as I walked up to the tree, a ladder hanging off the ledge. I glanced at Lachlan who was now right behind me to see him nod. I turned around and started to climb the ladder, pausing three steps up to turn around and whisper down to Lachlan, "You better not look up my skirt." I saw him wink and I heard him mumble a small, "No promises." I giggled and started climbing the ladder again until I got to the top. I pulled myself into the small house to find tons of blankets and pillows lying around and a cleared space in the roof with a perfect view of the sky, a perfect place to look at the stars.

I felt Lachlan climb up beside me and sit down. "What do you think?"

I leaned up against the wall next to him, reaching for his hand and intertwining our fingers. "It's amazing, it'd be the perfect place to lay and stargaze."

"So why don't we? I know it's still early but we can talk and get to know each other more?"

I was skeptical. If I wasn't home on time my mom would kill me, and then my dad would kill me again, multiple times over. But was it really worth going home? I mean I loved my mother, but I don't think I could handle my father anymore. "If we do, do you think I could stay at your place for a bit? I don't really want to go home."

Lachlan looked at me, curiosity and worriedness swirling in his crystal blue eyes. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

I shook my head, moving to lay down on the mess of blankets, slipping my white doc martens off and kicking them to the side. "Maybe later, now I wanna cuddle."

Lachlan smiled, kicking off his motorcycle boots and laying down next to me. I turned towards him, placing my head in the crook of his neck as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close.

I could get used to this.

(A\N I added a picture below of what Vik's outfit looks like, except the bows on the thigh highs are blue, I just couldn't find ones that matched)