Chapter Eleven

"Lucas! There you are!" I yelled as I saw the familiar brown-haired figure walking towards me. He looked even cuter than usual, with his messy hair and casual clothing. His checked shirt and ripped jeans suited him so well. I was staring into those grey eyes more than ever.

"Lexi! I'm so sorry I'm late, I just had to do some chores with my brother Kyle," Lucas said, completely out of breath. He looked as if he'd run all the way to the park.

I liked athletic guys.

"It's okay," I said, grinning.

Lucas came over and sat down next to me on the park bench. "So, what did you want to see me about?"

"Just to hang out, I guess." I sounded so pathetic.

"Okay then," Lucas said. "I've gotta be back by six, though. I have a strict mum."

"Don't worry! That gives us loads of time!" I said, reassuring him so he wouldn't be all twitchy during our time together.

Lucas grinned and stood up. "Do you want to walk around the park?"

Anything for you, Lucas. "Course!"

We walked slowly around the perimeter in silence for a while. I could feel my hand eager to hold Lucas's, but I resisted it. It would make me look too desperate. I just had to be patient - I knew Lucas liked me. I didn't want to push it. After a while of looking around the greenery, at all the children playing with excitement, the birds tweeting and being fed by new mums and old grannies having a little gossip, I swore I could feel Lucas's gaze burn into my neck. I turned around, and our eyes linked. I knew there was chemistry between our two pairs of grey eyes, mine just a little more blue.

Not that I knew what real, lovestruck 'chemistry' was, but I was sure we were meant for each other. I mean, he was definitely the cutest boy I had ever met, and Lucas even respected me for who I was, which was a start. It was a big improvement from every other boy I'd met.

"Nice sunny day today." Lucas looked away, interrupting my romantic trance.

"Huh? Um, yeah, I guess." It was like I had lost the ability to speak fluent English.

Lucas dug his hand into his pocket, and took out sunglasses. "Rare, here in Wolverhampton."

"You're, like, the only one wearing sunglasses in this whole park, you know."

"Yeah, but we might as well take advantage of the October sun. Never happens here in England!" Lucas grinned. I agreed quickly and we moved onto a conversation about art (again). It was a great conversation topic, Lucas and I being able to go on for hours about that. But we were quickly cut off. Well, I accidentally cut it off by nearly walking into the BMX park area, where a gang of teenagers in black hoodies and cigarettes were doing wild tricks on their bikes.

Well done, Lexi. You're a bloody genius at spoiling a lovely conversation with your crush.

Luckily, Lucas didn't seem to think I was too much of an idiot when he dragged me back the other way, towards the pond and playground. "Lexi, I don't particularly want you to be killed in a bike accident. Those guys are dodgy, and we're not going to go and hang out with them."

He cared!

"I'm sorry! I'm really sorry!" Talk about overreacting, but I really didn't want to upset Lucas. I didn't want to ruin another friendship. Or potential relationship.

"Don't worry. This place is huge - it's easy to get lost when you're not from Central Wolverhampton. Us people who were born at Wolverhampton know this place as our home."