Chapter Eighteen

The visions in my head started getting a little less blurry and although I had a splitting headache, things were spinning a little less, and I could make out some voices.

"Can you wetten Lexi's towel again?"

Why would I need a wet towel?

"Of course - is she boiling up?"

My thoughts were getting brighter, and I suddenly felt a jolt beneath me. My eyes fluttered open, and in front of me were probably the most beautiful green eyes I had ever seen. They had flecks of gold in between the leaf colours, and they gave off a warming and soothing vibe.

Who's eyes were these?

I was just about halfway through collapsing in those eyes when something cold and moist fell onto my head, and the mysterious eyes tore away.

"She's awake! Nurse Brinton, she's woken up from her mental breakdown, her stress-induced psychiatric disorder!"

Thomas.

And unless I was mistaken, those were Thomas's eyes that had been staring down at me.

I did not just call Thomas Walkers' eyes beautiful.

Whilst trying to convince myself that those emerald eyes could not be Thomas, I inspected my surroundings. I was lying in a tiny bed with a 60s floral print duvet, which was surprisingly comfortable, and I was in a bite-size room with posters about anti-bullying and school rules everywhere. There was a mug of water on the table next to me, sporting my school logo.

I was in the school sick room.

I wasn't really surprised - although I didn't feel like I had a fever, the pain in my head was unbearable and I was damp with sweat.

I couldn't think of how I got here, although I must have blacked out, as the last thing I remembered was the Populars confronting Thomas and me in the corridors.

The last time I passed out, it was the night of Levi's party when I accidentally got drunk.

As I was trying to repress that memory, two people walked into the room - Thomas, without his glasses (and those same green eyes), and an older woman, presumably the nurse. I attempted to sit up, but I felt so dizzy that I was forced back down again.

"Hello, Lexi," the woman said. It was weird that I hadn't even met the nurse yet, after being at the school for over two months. "I'm Nurse Brinton. How do you feel, on a scale of one to ten, one being perfectly healthy, ten being dead?"

"Six," I said after a little bit of thought. "But what-"

"Lexi!" Thomas squealed and ran over to me. He jumped onto the bed, and hugged me. I let out a cry of pain at his suffocation skills.

"Thomas, give the girl a break," Nurse Brinton said, smiling. "You know, Lexi, Thomas here insisted on staying with you all day, after what happened. This chap nearly even cried, as he was so worried about you. He must be a great best friend to you." Nurse Brinton winked, much to my horror.

Instead of getting annoyed, I felt my cheeks glowing red.

Lexi! First you think Thomas's eyes are beautiful, now you're blushing at the implication of dating him! What is happening to you today?

My mind shamefully flicked back to that day when we confessed our little secrets to each other.

"You should stay here and rest for a bit. It's nearly end of school anyway, so there's not really much point in going to lessons." Nurse Brinton patted my head kindly. "Well, if there's anything the two of you need, just shout and I'll be here." She walked out of the room.