Chapter Two: "Try me, Mitashi."

Neji's POV:

I waited until everybody at the table had gotten up before finally rising from my seat. When I turned back to the table to grab my things I noticed the apple that Tenten had been carving into was on the table. I then grabbed my backpack and swung it over my shoulder. I then carefully grabbed the apple and looked at the carving.

The longer I looked at it, the wider my pale eyes got. She had carved a double bladed axe into it. But what really amazed me was how detailed it was. I could even make out a couple of carefully etched stratches on the blade. I quickly wrapped the apple in a napkin and ran to my next class.

Chemistry with Mr. Orochimaru. Honestly, the guy was a creep. Obsessed with snakes and ancient legends, the guy gave off a bad aura. There was just one thing good about that class. My lab partner, who was none other than Tenten herself.

I had feelings for Tenten since the moment I met her.

How could I not?

She was fit, and smart. She knew how to take care of herself and wasn't insecure. Not to mention she was beautiful. Even if Tenten was a tomboy, always wore pants, and never let's her hair down out of those buns. I still thought she was beautiful.

Of course I couldn't show it.

But every now and then when Tenten would spend the night at our mansion to hang out with Hinata-sama. I would "accidentally" bump into her in the hallway before mumbling a sorry and continuing on my way.

I know, pathetic. I'm a Hyūga for Kami-sama's sake.

But under no circumstance could I even give off one hint that I felt the way I did about her.

I entered the classroom and sat down next to Tenten right as the bell rang. I mentally sighed in relief that I wasn't late.

Mr. Orochimaru started talking about the experiment we were doing with our lab partners today. Apparently the school was low on funding and couldn't get us the chemicals we needed to do the original experiment. So instead sensei gave each pair of partners a tray with a goat's eyeball on it to dissect.

But of course before he did he had to give us a absolutely thrilling lecture on snakes and how they connected with the assignment.

Which they didn't one bit. When he was finished there was roughly fifteen minutes left and we finally got our trays.

I glanced over at Tenten and saw her just staring at the eyeball in amazement. I cleared my throat and she snapped out of her zone. She met my gaze with her beautiful brown eyes and I fought the urge to look away. Instead I raised an eyebrow at her, silently asking what she was doing. In return she sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck, an embarrassed smile on her face.

"Gomen, Neji." She apologized bringing her hand down as a amazed look returned to her face. "It just amazes me..." Tenten trailed of staring at the eyeball.

"The eyeball amazes you?" I asked in a questioning voice.

"Hehe, yeah." She replied, glancing at me before looking back to the eyeball. "This eyeball belonged to a living animal. Who saw its entire life through this. All of its memories seen from this single, well, ball. And it just amazes me."

When Tenten finished I was resisting the urge to let my jaw drop. All that from a deceased goat's eyeball? 

She looked back to me. "Sorry, was that weird?" She asked me with a small smile gracing her lips.

I fought down the heat that tried to crawl up my neck and simply shrugged instead. She scowled at my response and picked up a small knife. She mumbled something I couldn't hear as she cut the eyeball in half without any hesitation.

Damn. I want to know what she whispered. Maybe I could ask her? No. That would give me away. Unless...

I came to my decision and reached out for the tray. I grabbed it and pulled it over to my side of the table. When Tenten turned to look at me with a puzzled face I glared at her.

"What was that?" I asked with a fake angry tone.

She glared back at me. "Why should I tell you anything."

I scoffed. "Because it was obviously something rude that had something to do with me."

So here's what I figured. If I pretended to be upset and I provoked Tenten, she would reply and tell me what she had mumbled on impulse.

"Well sorry, Hyūga." She growled in reply pointing her finger at my chest. "But I don't have to tell you anything."

Okay now she really was making me mad. On impulse I grabbed her wrist and pulled it down. She gasped and her hand fell limp in my hand. She met my pale eyes with her shocked brown orbs.

"I suggest you do." I growled back.

She shook her head and met my gaze once more. Her eyes told me I was playing with fire.

"You know," she started, glaring at me. "Sakura suggested I don't use any aggravating men as target practice. But I might have to."

Her tone of voice said that she wasn't kidding. And I knew she wasn't. Last year I witnessed her throw a pocket knife at a boy who was annoying her during lunch. The knife had lodged itself into the inside of his thigh right under his unmentionables. She had gotten suspended for two weeks but when she came back she said it was worth it and he wouldn't be bothering her anymore.

A shiver ran down my spine as I thought of Tenten possibly doing the same.

I glared at her with determined eyes. 

"Try me, Mitashi." I said, even more mad.

Her eyes widened at me using her real last name. Tenten had told everybody that her last name was Kunai. A specials type of throwing knife. She had explained how it was her mother's last name and all her ancestors had been weapon specialists.

But I once over heard her and Hinata-sama talking while she was at the mansion. Tenten had told Hinata her real last name which she inherited from her father.

"How... did you know that name." She demanded, her wrist still in my hand.

I smirked. "If your going to tell my cousin secrets while at her home, make sure nobody is around to hear it."

Her eyes widened in realization. "You little-"

The bell rang cutting her off.

I released her wrist and in one swift movement stood, grabbed my bag, pushed my chair underneath the table, and left the classroom.

I walked along the wall and let out a frustrated sigh.

Good going, baka. Now she's going to think your some kind of stalker.

I continued walking to my next class, without knowing a certain brown haired girl was glaring daggers at me.