Part 8

*Austin's PoV*

I could tell just by the way Corey made sure Jamie was situated in his seat before slipping out of the room that he wasn't having a good day. He looked absolutely drained. I looked down at the board in front of me that we had both worked pretty hard on; it was all about Joseph Priestley, a chemist who did some shit. I knew he wouldn't be okay to present today, but somehow we ended up in the only chem class that wasn't taught by someone in his pack so it's not like he could tell the truth.

I looked up at Mr. Baker, and then down at the board again. I stood up from my desk and crossed the room to his desk where he was engrossed in his computer. "Excuse me sir," I started and watched as he jerked his head up as if I had just interrupted the most important thing on the planet. "Me and Jamie are supposed to present today, but he's pretty sick and I don't want it hurting his grade and"

"I don't really care," He said cutting me off "I'm not spending more than today on this, if he chooses not to present that's his own choice. What I can do for you is let you go first and send him to the nurse after."

I stared for a moment trying to process how a teacher could honestly care as little as he did before I just nodded and went back to my desk. Jamie looked like he was about to pass out and it was breaking my heart. He offered a weak smile as the bell rang and all I wanted to do was wrap my arms around him and tell him it was all going to be okay.

"Alright class," Mr. Baker started. "take your seats and let's get this going, I don't wanna waste any time." Everyone took their seats before he continued. "Austin, James, you're up." I watched Jamie's face pale and he glanced at me, and I tried to give him a look of reassurance to show I knew he could do it, but as soon as he tried to stand up I doubted he could even make it a foot away from his desk.

I reached out to steady him and he gave me a thankful look. The walk up to the front of class was terrible and it felt like it took hours, I could already tell Mr. Baker was done with our shit. I set the board up and I could practically hear Jamie's heart racing as he stared down at the introduction paper. We both had to speak, and so we agreed he'd do the into and conclusion along with a good portion of the writing, and I'd make the board and do all the rest of the speaking.

At the time it seemed like a pretty even trade off, but looking at him now I just wanted to do everything. He took a deep breath even though I think he knew it wouldn't help. The words came out shaky and he himself was visibly shaking. I reached out and grabbed his arm and only seconds later he stiffened and fell silent.

"Why don't you mind your damn business." He growled as his eyes shot to Tiffany. I looked over at him in shock, that tone, I had only ever heard it once, yesterday. Tiffany looked taken back and her face grew red. He stared for a second before his eyes fell back to the paper and his shaky composure fell back into place.

As he finished the intro I heard the door open and saw Corey slip into the room, and I knew right then something was about to go down. I started going over my part but I just didn't care, all I could focus on was the way his hands were changing color with how hard his fists were balled up.

I could see him gritting his teeth, and I could tell Corey was really worried just by the look on his face. Then it happened. It seemed so out of nowhere again, but he stepped forward and slammed his fist down on the desk in front of him, and that's when Corey moved to grab him.

"You have no idea what you even just said." He growled out. I watched as the much larger Jake stood from his desk and they proceed to stare each other down.

"What are you gonna do about it?" He asked in a mocking manner, "Bite my ankles?" By this time Corey was right next to him with his hands on his shoulders trying to calm him down, but I quickly realized it wouldn't be enough when Jamie's hand rose and then quickly made contact with Kyle's face.

Kyle fell back onto the ground and Jamie jumped over the desk to stand over him. "You have no idea who you're dealing with." It was weird seeing him like this. His face held almost no emotion, yet his eyes were leaking tears faster than what seemed possible. It was then that the fire alarm sounded, and everyone else shot up and made their way to the door but I stayed still as I watched Corey jump over the desk to try to comfort his friend only to be pushed away violently.

I watched Jamie fall to his knees only to curl up into himself, and enter a state of what basically seemed like he was unconscious. The tears still ran down, but he just spaced off while he sat there shaking. Corey moved towards him again but stopped in his tracks when the door flew open and River came in in a rush.

"Don't touch him." He barked. "He's dissociating to the level where he's not even sure where he is, and right now the only people that won't hurt him are his mate and Alpha." I glanced at him and then back to Jamie before stepping closer only to have River grab my arm and pull me back, "Did you not hear what I just said?"

I glared back at him for a moment trying to figure out if he was being serious. I had been hinting at it pretty hard for awhile now. Was he still gonna play this game? I ripped my arm away from him, "We both know I'm on that list."

I watched as something flickered in his eyes, and I didn't wait for any further reaction as I stepped towards Jamie and dropped to my knees next to him and quickly wrapped my arms around him. I swear to god he practically mewled as I pulled him into my lap. He was shaking harder than I had thought possible, and the tears only got more and more intense.

"It's gonna be okay Jamie." I whispered and almost instantly his arms shot out and wrapped themselves around my neck. I held him as close to me as I could, it was to the point where it was physically hurting my arms, but I didn't care.

"What the hell is going on?" We all looked up to see the principal who also happened to be their alpha, standing in the doorway with eyes wide.