Chapter Twenty-Six

Grace's point of view

I frantically look over the field looking for him, praying and hoping to God he is alright. As I search, I see James lying on the ground. I signal Noah to drive the cart over to me. I grab a duffel bag and the flat board.

"Grace, get out of here, run." James says, but of course I ignore him.

I turn him to the side and place the board under him, it is good to have a flat surface when helping others because then grass and other things won't dirty him. He groans in pain, and I want to cry, but know better not too. I cut his clothes because I need to see the damage.

"Grace, we need to leave." Noah tells me.

"Alpha orders."

"Tell him the quicker I finish getting everyone stable, including him, I will leave." I try to disconnect from the situations, but the fact that my friends, and Mason are hurt, hurts me.

I block my emotions, put on the headlight so I can see, and get to work. I see bruising around his ribs, so I press. It's mushy, meaning some ribs are broken. He winces and says three. I leave his ribs alone because there is not much I can do.

"Noah, do me a favor and gather the eleven that are injured and put them in a row. It doesn't matter the problem. Put the flat board under them and drag them over to me and line them up in a row." I'm pretty sure I repeated some stuff but I'm nervous to what I am going to see. I take out the oxygen tank and place one next to James. Noah returns with David.

"I'll lay down a oxygen tank between each person." He nods and goes retrieve my next patient.

I hook up the oxygen tube to the tank and place a mask on James and David. I start a IV on James hoping the morphine helps. I take a look at his head and it is bleeding a lot. There are two gallons of water in each bag, and now I know why. I cut his jeans off leaving him in only his boxers on. I pour the water gently over his forehead, clearing away the blood for a better view of his injury. I stop because it looks like his skull is busted. I wrap the bandage around his head gently.

I continue pouring water, while I see Noah has brought all eleven of them and is placing the tanks in the middle of them and a duffel bag.

I finish James, by stopping the bleeding from his gunshot wound on the left side of his stomach. Then wrapping his broken arm and his broken toe. I don't look over anything. I place him on a mini monitor that takes his blood pressure, oxygen, and heart rate for me. This pack doctor has everything. Where is she?

I move to David, who is unconcious. I place him on the monitor automatically, I tell Noah to put them all on a monitor and oxygen. He gets to it. I'm so glad I have help. David is in a worst condition than James. The first thing I notice is his broken femur, that is the hardest bone to break, its your thigh bone. I feel guilty to what I am about to do, but it is a must, he has no circulation to his right leg, because of the femur being broken. I need to straighten it out, then make an incision to fix the artery and veins. I hook the flat board into the ground and whisper a sorry to him. I cut the shorts he had and tie it around his mouth. I count to three and pull his broken leg back into place, hopefully it isn't too far off, I know it isn't perfect. I make my incision cutting through his skin, then muscle. I adjust the light on my head and repairing the artery and vein. The nerve is messed up but I don't have the time or the proper practice to perform this so I just stitch loosely the incision and and wrap his leg in a hard cast. Crap, I need to write this stuff down, I go to the duffel bag and look for a pen or something. A black sharpie is the only thing I find, it's bad for the skin, but there are more important things.

I put the marker in my pocket and move to David again, I pour the water on him and tend to his gunshot wound that's in his chest. That's why he is unconcious. It is his right lung, good so no heart problems yet. I put in a chest tube in and drain the blood, I leave it in because there is a lot of blood, I set him on morphine and some other medication to relax his muscles. I make a cut into his chest and take the bullet out, it stops bleeding and starts to heal in front of my eyes.