The Game and Big Surprise

He blew the whistle and the girl kicked it to Linda. The second her the ball touched her foot I broke into a sprint. She dribbled at me and I realized she was a right foot. She was going to fake left and go right, I predict. That is exactly what she did. She faked and I grabbed the ball, kicking in between her feet as she tried right. I ran around her and dribbled down. I twist spun past the first defender and passed the ball to Ginger. It was an air kick. I past the second and she kicked it. She remembered my advice. She kicked it perfectly. It went right to Rian. The defender quickly covered her.
"Rian. Back." She kicked it back wards and I kicked the grounder. It went straight to Rian who head butted it into the right side of the goal. "Nice teamwork guys." I high fived Rian. "Nice kick Gin!" She smiled and we jogged back. Linda took the ball again, but immediately passed it. I followed her down our field and saw the girl a near ten feet away, going back and forth with the ball under her foot. Rookie mistake. I ran forward. I kicked it right from under her and chased it down the field. Cierra ran up too. All three midfielders ran for me so I foot bounced it to Cierra. They turned and two ran off in her direction, leaving me unguarded. Wow, you learn a lot about one team in the first five minutes. Linda sped past me to Cierra. She was in the corner. Two girls trapping her. She kicked it at them and it bounced off a girls arm, out of bounds. I stayed where I was and raised my hand, showing CIerra a two. Smirked a bit and raised it above her head. I jogged over to that side and broke into a full out sprint. Passing everyone who chased me. She threw it perfectly. It hit my chest and I ran to the goal. I saw two girls there and kicked under the ball and up. It whizzed past them, over thier heads and into the goal. I smiled and headed back. "Perfect throw CC." She grinned in pride. I was already panting, Linda looked red in the face.
"Thank's Em." We lined up again. Linda started down the field and stopped. Everyone stopped. They looked toward the bottom door. The opening to the field. I turned around with the rest of my team. There he stood. Still in uniform. People in the stands looked at him. Rian called a timeout. I stood there in shock. He smiled at me. I ran for him and flung my arms around his neck, bringing my legs around him. His arms went around my back. Everyone stared at us. He laughed.
"Hey Darling?" I jumped down.
"Dad! I can't believe...It's you!" He laughed and I hugged him again.
"Yeah. I came straight here from the airport. I leave Tuesday." I grinned and realized no one had moved. I picked up my dads army bag, which wasn't that heavy and pulled him across the field.
"I am leaving Wednesday. I am doing the nursing program for a month." He smiled bigger.
"That's great hun." I grinned back at him and set his stuff down at the bench. You can sit here or in the stands. I don't care. Mike doesn't care either." He kissed my forehead and sat down. I ran over to coach Johnson and Mike.
"Emily who is that?" Mike asked.
"It's my dad. He just got back from a four month trip." Mike sighed.
"You can go...." I interrupted him.
"Despite the fact that I know the girls would be fine, he hasn't seen me play a game in a year." He smirked and gave a slight nod like he always does. "Coach Johnson I apologize for the interruption." He grinned.
"That's fine. I would be excited too." I smiled and gave an appreciative nod. Everyone was staring at me. I ran over to Linda.
"I am sorry for interrupting the game. Would you like to continue?" She smirked.
"Happy too." I grinned and nodded at the ref.
"Your ball." I ran back to my girls. They surrounded me quick. "Girls. Positions. You get to meet him later!" The nodded and jogged back to their spots.
We lined up and we played.
By the end of the game we were ahead by two. Linda was running down the field.
"Come on girls!" She kicked it and Jay dove and got the block. It bounced back and Linda ran for it, but Jay dove just in time. Jay called a time out. "Trisha! Switch!" I yelled as the ref called for subs. We high fived as I ran on field and she ran off. "Grace! Rian!" They ran over. "Okay. Rian. You get ball. Grace, I want you to take down left flank. All the way to the goal. Just keep going, don't worry about the defenders, we will push them back. Rian you pass it to me whenever your stuck. Grace, get ready for a knee." She nodded. "Okay girls all hands in. Remember, keep the defenders behind Grace midfielders. Defense needs to stay at mid field to kick back if it doesn't go right. Linda and 45 are always on me. Rian you get an open pass to me. Do it. I promise I will get out."
"You always do." Replied Cierra. I nodded.
"Okay. You got the plan." Everyone nodded. "Alrighty. Hands in. One minute on the clock, but we flash so fast because were," I smiled as I said it.
"Lightning Strikes!" We spread out.
"You got this guys!" I stood at midfield. Rian a little ahead of me. Linda got in front of me. 45 on my side. Grace was a little behind me. Perfect. The whistle blew and Jay kicked it a little side ways to Rian, but she got it and started down field. I took off and Linda was right on my tail. I went full speed and saw Rian's foot go up. I waited and stopped. The two girls ran right past me. I got the ball and kicked it towards Grace. She ran up and kneed it perfectly into the goal. The buzzer rang. Exactly like my dream. I smiled and we all embraced Grace in a hug. "Girls! Line up! I don't want to hear anything, but good game!" They all nodded and we started to walk. I was in the back, even behind coach. So was Linda. We smacked each others hands and a few girls even shook mine. When Linda came up I grabbed hers. "Hey, you got game. Fast too. Could barely keep up." She smirked a bit.
"Thanks. You aren't so bad yourself. Maybe you can teach me the twist and roll tomorrow." I grinned and she gave a small smile.
"Happy too. Can't wait until the next game." She grinned now, shaking my hand.
"Me either. I will see you tomorrow." I nodded and pulled out my cell. It rang a few times.
"Hello this is Holiday Inn how may we help you?" I took a drink of water.
"Yes, could I speak to Al?"
"I will forward him to you now." I started to walk over to Johnson.
"Hello?" Al's voice came online.
"Hey Al!"
"Oh hello Emily how are you?" I smiled.
"Great. Could I ask a favor of you?" He answered immediately.
"Anything."
"I have this team and was wondering if you could spare a few rooms?" Johnson turned to me.
"Yeah, that is no bother!" I gave a small laugh.
"Thanks Al. We need about twelve rooms, two beds?" I heard him chuckle on the other line.
"That is certainly no problem. Just for tonight?"
"Yes. Mr. Johnson will be there. I expect all charge to come to me." He laughed again.
"Yes Emily. I will talk to you soon."
"Thanks Al." I hung up the phone and looked at Johnson. "Your rooms are set. Two girls in each room and you have a room to yourself of course." He smiled.
"Thanks." I smiled. The players lined up behind him.
"No problem. You guys can go clean up in the shower if you like. I will be right down there with some clothes you can borrow so your clothes your going to wear tomorrow after our prctice won't be dirty." They all smiled sweetly and I ran to the locker room with them. I pulled out our spare shorts and t shirts we kept in there. All of them were clothes that didn't fit us or we no longer wanted. They thanked me and headed for the showers. I quickly stripped and sid on my skinny jeans and shirts. My team came out of the showers and stared at me as I washed my hair in the sink.
"Your going to be late." I turned off the water and Trish handed me a towel. She was the one who spoke.
"Yeah. Can you guys blow dry as I get my makeup on?" They all nodded and started their blow driers.They made sure my shirt wouldn't get wet too. I put my eyeliner on and slid on my flip flops. I checked my phone. Twenty six texts? I looked at them. David. Jermey. Gregory. Thomas. Michel. Mike. I clicked on MIke's contact.
The press are waiting for you. I told them you were in the shower. Hurry up.

"Done." I brushed my hair and fixed my bangs to curve into my face and put the rest in a ponytail.
"Thanks guy! I got to go! Keep the girls company!" They nodded and I ran down the hall. My dad stood in front of a door with camera's flashing at him. A gate blocking them from the door. "Dad." I gave him a hug. "Sorry about the cameras." He shrugged and opened the door for me. Everyone's attention went to me. I sat in my chair and my dad stood behind me. I spoke into the microphone. 'I am very sorry for the wait. I had to make sure the other team would be comfortable during their wait." Mike spoke next.
"Okay. Any questions for Emily?" Everyone's hands went up. Mike pointed at a young boy in the front row. "Yes, you." He stood up.
"What do you plan on doing for the small vacation all the soccer players get this month?" I smiled.
"As most people know I have been a big Army brat. My father is standing behind me, he is in the military. I am going to be volunteering as an Army nurse for most of the month and most defiantly practicing in my spare time. I am also there to bond with the army men and women. It will be such an honor to help and meet those who help fight and protect us." They were all scribbling down notes. "Next question? You in the purple jacket." I pointed at a lady in the middle of the room. She stood.
"What inspired you to go in as a nurse?" I kept my smile, even though this was super annoying.
"My grandfather died in an army hospital, I think it would be good to help the wounded or at least try. It will also be in a base camp so I will be bonding with more than just the wounded. My whole plan is to help. I will do whatever the head would like me to do to help the camp." The lady scribbled some more. "Next?" Mike pointed out an older lady.
"Linda Green was the captain on the other team. What do you think about her skills?" I put my hands in my lap.
"I think Linda is a fantastic soccer player. We plan on showing each other some moves later. She has great speed and agility. If she could do a little more turns she would be better than me!" I exclaimed making everyone laugh. "She really is an amazing, strong girl. She is strict yet caring. I personally like to give my team room to breathe. She seems like a really fun person when she isn't in the game zone. She is focused on winning and laying the game. Just like every player should be." Another ten people raised their hands.
"Do you think they have a chance of winning the championship from you?" Johnson and Mike both looked at me, but I looked straight at the lady. Giving no sign of expression change.
"I know my girls can bring it, but I know Linda's can too. It is anyone's game. WE are both two teams that live to play soccer. My team and I believe that it isn't about winning, but playing the game itself. We will try our hardest to win, but it takes team work and cooperation. Every functioning team needs it. It is anyone's game out for the championship." Another boy raised his hand.
"What do you mean, playing the game itself?" I grinned bigger at his question.
"When we play soccer, it is like a whole different world. It's you, your team mates, the ball, and the opposing team. You may be able to get the ball to the goal, but it doesn't mean it will go in. My team might make it to the championships, but who knows if we are going to win or not. Either way, yeah we will be depressed for the first five minutes. That's natural. But me and my team aren't going to mope. Were going to stand up and say we had fun anyway. We learned how we could do better. There is always next season. We played the game and we came close! We are going to be proud of ourselves either way. It is an extra to win, but we would play anyway. Like we did today." Mike and Johnson smiled at me. "Okay last question please." I looked at the clock, it was almost seven.
"Yes, Emily. You are now one of the most popular soccer players around. How do you like the new fame?"
"It isn't really new to me. I was always popular at school because of sports. That isn't the big deal. I hated those bullies that picked on the other kids though. They made me mad. Most of the kids they picked on were my best friends."
"What did you do?"
"I stood up for'em. NO one deserved to be bullied because they can't play sports or their status on the high school pyramid. To tell you the truth I was bullied after that. I used to go home with a black eyes or bruises all over me. It didn't bring down my status though. I was still a popular, I didn't care. Every time those guys picked on people I couldn't just watch. Bulling is wrong and cruel. A lot of those people think that it brings them up on the food chain so they forget their old selves. It actually only brings you down. When you bully, you and your friends are the only people who thinks it's cool. The rest are just scared to tell you the truth. People will actually think your a jerk. That's what I thought of all of them. I got beat from standing in front of punches and slaps. I never forgot where I stood on the ladder, but I never forgot the steps that got me there either. That's why I always visit my friends every month and help out friends when they need it."
"One last question. If you were a popular, why didn't you hang out with the populars?" I smiled at him.
"Because. You have to have friends that make you popular. I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for my friends Natalie and Victoria. They encouraged me to try out for the team in high school. Their the ones that encouraged me to sent a scouting audition to this school. I never forgot my roots. My mother use to tell me. Be yourself, because no one is worth changing for. I wasn't going to change who I was and who I knew because of a stupid social network. If you think of it look at me. Wouldn't most of you qualify me for a jock." People nodded. "Well, see. Things don't always appear what they seem. I'm an nerd. I'm a dork. I'm a bookworm. My motto is, don't step on people on your way up because they might not be there or they might bite you on your way back down." Mike spoke up after a second.
"Thank you all. I think we have time for just one more." He pointed at the little girl in front. I smiled and got up out of my seat. I walked around and down the steps to the little girl. I squatted in front of her.
"DO you have a question for me?" She nodded and handed a piece of paper towards me. I took it from her.
"Why do you play soccer so much and help people?" I smiled and signed my name.
"What's your name hun?" She giggled.
"Ray. Short for Riana." I grinned and wrote.
Love Emily Rockwood. Always follow your dreams, Ray. Don't let anyone bring you down because you are strong. Never give up Riana!
"That is a pretty name. I have a team mate named Rian. By the way. I don't know why I play soccer. It's my favorite sport. It helps clear my mind it is fun to play. It is a team sport and it is a great way to bond with your friends. You just have to believe you can do it and never give up. I help people because it's the right thing to do. When there is so many people in the world it would be selfish to keep all my money to myself. TO tell you the truth, we get paid more than an army soldier. WE give up our privacy and they give up their kids, wife, and sometimes their life. There are little kids who could use that money to survive an a whole other list of possibilities. They sky is the limit okay Ray?" She giggled and nodded. "Can I have a hug?" I held open my arms and she gave me a hug. I closed my eyes and pulled away.
"Your my role model Emily! I like soccer too!" I smiled.
"Why thank you. Now remember. Never give up on what you love." She nodded and I walked out the door with Mike, Johnson, and my dad. I stopped. "Wait." I went back in and dug through the soccer bag in the closet. I found the right size for the little girl and signed the ball. "Riana?" She and a older lady turned. "Would you stay here a minute?" She looked at her mom. She had a camera and notepad in her hand. She nodded to me. "I will be right back." I grabbed the sharpie and ran down the hall. Past the guys to the locker rooms. Everyone was sitting, gossiping with the other team. When I came in I through the ball at them. "Hurry up. Everyone sign it." They quickly did. I passed it to Linda. "Your team too." She smiled and signed her name. They quickly passed it around and I ran back to the interview room. I came in and Riana and her mom was sitting a chair. "Thanks. The Lightning and The Suns would like to give you a present. I pulled the ball out from behind my back. She dropped her jaw as she gasped.
"For me?" I laughed and nodded. "This too." I handed her another plain one. "Now be careful with this one." I held up the signed one. "Our names could rub off if you play with this one. But this one is to help you practice and have fun with." The lady started to snap pictures. "Could I get a picture of you." She nodded. I took a picture with the both of us. Then just her. Then I video taped her saying thank you to the teams. I gave her a hug and ran out to the field where The two teams were waiting for me.