The First Battle

I sighed before going to the other end of the tent. It has been a month and I just got back from the field. There is so much death. I felt so bad, right now I was attending A boy that was shot in the left leg and left arm. he smiled lightly at me. I set him back and tied the bandages on him. Then, I saw someone pull me along to a different guy. He was the one that ran into me the first day.
"Your better at unconscious clean ups. He had a shot wound in his right shoulder and a knot on his forehead that had a cut that needed stitches above it. I sighed and carefully stitched his head before searching for the bullet in his shoulder. I found it an pulled it out before cleaning and bandaging it.
"Is he unconscious Rockwood?" A doctor asked.
"Yes sir. He is."
"Alright you need to stay with him, watch his vital signs, make sure no head drama will be done." I nodded and looked at the boy next to him. Asleep and groaning in pain as the nurse worked on his shoulder wound. I picked up his clipboard and grinned.
Name: James Doniqe
Age: 20
Position on the battle field: Anywhere
Wound list: Four gun shots,
Two broken arms (right)
Gas
Ect....
"Wow, you've been though a lot." I whispered to him and stood up to attend another patient. After thirty minutes or so, I went back to check on him. He was strangely wide awake. "Hello James.. How are you feeling?"
"Like crap." I grinned and handed him a painkiller. He took it down without a fight and stared at me as I checked his vitals and his bandages. "Why are you so different from the other nurses?" He whispered making me grin.
"I'm not like other girls in general. I'm not trained to be nurse if that helps."
"No you just seem less squeamish and less worrisome."
"Well, I'm good at hiding stress. You need it where I stand back in the U.S."
"Oh yeah, your a famous soccer player aren't you?" I laughed and nodded little. "When can I get out?" I smirked and looked at his charts.
"In a week or so. I will have to stay with you. The doctor believes that you may have head drama. Not enough to send you home to your girl I'm afraid."
"Don't worry about that. I don't have anyone to go back to." I closed my mouth as I set his clipboard down.
"See you soon." He nodded and laid back down. Something was particularly drawing about him. Intriguing almost. I shrugged it off and continued my job.

"Emily! I have your cot ready next to James!" A boy yelled and I nodded as I washed my hands and changed quickly. I crawled into the bed and fell asleep the second they turned out the lights. I hated staying in the hospital. Hated it, all night people groaned and moaned. I couldn't do a thing to help. It wasn't until the air raid sirens went off that I curled into a ball.
"Emily? Are you awake?" James whispered and I stood up silently.
"Yeah." He opened the covers for me. "James?"
"Don't worry, I'm seriously not planning anything. I just, know you hate air raids." I sighed and crawled under he covers with him. He hugged my waist tightly and rubbed my back as the sirens and bombs went off.
"How did you know?"
"The way you curl up. Don't tell anyone, but I used to be like that." I lifted my arms to wrap them around his neck.
"What changed?"
"I learned that I didn't value my own life. I don't really care anymore. I don't have anyone or anything to live for."
"You must have something." He sighed and continued to rub my back. "is your head feeling alright?"
"As well as it will get. Emily?"
"What?"
"Do you want to go on a date with me?"
"You mean as you screwing me like you did to ever other girl on the grounds." A small intake was heard.
"No. I know you probably won't believe me, but I want to take you on a date. Like, in town, just the two of us and I'll take you straight to your tent afterwards."
"Alright, what the heck. The second you try anything funny though, I'm breaking more than your body." He nodded quickly and kissed my forehead softly. The sirens turned off, but still he hugged me to his chest. When he fell asleep, I slowly crawled out and laid back in my bed. This will be interesting.