Another Day

I woke up to the trumpets blaring and hopped up to get dressed. I braided my hair down and made sure everyone that had to work was up. As soon as we got into the hospital I loaded the car and we drove out to the front lines. There was wounded from last night that didn't have to go back to the hospital everywhere, but they were still bleeding. P had the west, I was on the east. I headed out with my backpack and passed the water around the group as I tied bandages and stitched bullet wounds.
It wasn't until the sirens went off, that my heart started to pound. I didn't show it though. I just kept doing my job until more explosions went off. I slid my backpack on and ran for the front lines. Joining the soldiers in dragging the wailing victims. A bomb went off behind me and I fell straight down. The guy I was dragging looked up at me.
"Go! They're getting to close!" I grunted as I stood and grabbed his arm again. Soldiers were running both ways as I dragged the guy through the crowds. I made it to the truck and helped him to his one good leg. He jumped in and I tore his pant leg off as the last few soldiers were piled in. So far, four trucks had left this was the fifth trip the driver has made. I needed to head back, it's been a few hours. This guy needed medical attention now, too. he grunted and the other soldiers around stared at him wide eyed.
"I need cloth! Someone rip his pants for me." A soldier took the fabric and stuck it in between his teeth, ripping it down the middle for me. I looked at the boys leg. "Great." I looked at the boys face. "Stay awake okay. Talk to him will you?" I asked the one closest to his face. He nodded and started a conversation. I tested his reflexes and it wasn't good at all. "No." They guy handed me the cloth.
"What are you going to do?"
"Tourniquet." I yanked a pole out of the side of the car, making everyone stare at me. I wrapped the cloth right above his kneecap and stuck the metal into the knot, turning it around until it was tight as it could get.
"What's going to happen to me?" The boy asked, getting drowsy.
"Nothing, your going to be just fine. What's your name?" I pressed down on the metal, keeping it in place, despite the pain of another cut going into my hand and shoulder.
"Isac Hilpa." I grinned.
"Do you have family Isac?" I saw the camp come into view.
"Yeah...." His eyes shut.
"No, no! tell me about them."
"I have a wife and two daughters." He mumbled.
"What's their names?" The car jerked to a stop and the doctor and a nurse came out with some other soldiers to help. "Doctor!" He nodded and brought a stretcher as I gave the boy sleeping pills. It's all that I had at the moment.
"Bonnie and Tracy." He whispered.
"I bet they're beautiful." He grinned and nodded.
"What are they going to do to me? Really?" I sighed.
"Amputation on your left leg." He sighed and nodded.
"Whatever get's me home." I hated and loved this job at the same time. I wrapped a bandage around my entire arm to stop the blood flow and watched as he fell asleep.
"Alright let's get this done quickly!" The doctor yelled as he undid my tourniquet. He went into surgery mode. I bit my lip as I hooked up Isac. "He's done. Sewed up. Watch him carefully alright?" I nodded and wrapped his leg up. I sighed, and measured his other leg. I wrote it down and handed it to a soldier outside.
"Take this to the blacksmith?" He nodded and started across camp. I went back in and started helping the other girls. Cheering came from outside, so I headed out. Someone scooped me up and twirled me. "Hey!" I yelled while laughing and noticed who it was. "James!" He set me down and hugged me tightly. "What's going on?"
"The bombing escorts blew up their air hangers! No more raids for awhile!" I grinned and ran back in. Everyone stared at me.
"The air hangers were destroyed!" The soldiers smiled as the nurses cheered and hugged each other. James hugged my waist. I turned and kissed his cheek. He smirked as I slid a piece of paper in his pocket. Then, I went back to check my patients.

I just ended my shift and the troops came marching back to camp. I smiled and took off the blood stained apron and threw it into wash while I ran to my tent. Not five minutes later. A boy came in and went to one of the girls. She screamed and ran to him. P looked nervously as Redgy came in and gave a shy smile. She sighed in relief before leading him back outside. I sat on my bed and heard my Ipod go off. I looked down and frowned at the email.
Emergency. We need you back. The games were re-scheduled. We need you in so you can practice before the first game. Your flight will be tomorrow. Sorry Emily. Your career comes first.
Love, Mike
Team says "Hey can't wait to see you."
Arms encircled my shoulders and I hid my Ipod immediately.
"Your stinky babe!" I groaned and he chuckled.
"Well yeah!" There was a loud laugh behind us as I hugged him.
"Ummm....James?" He pulled back with a smile. He pulled me out of the tent and guys hit his shoulder. He hugged me again.
"This is great!"
"Yeah!" I put on a huge grin. "Even though I'm leaving tomorrow!" He froze.
"What?" I smiled.
"Great right! Now you have a little less stress."
"Emily." He got serious and I slumped.
"I know, but the AASF changed the whole seasons dates and I have to leave. Tomorrow to get to practices before my games."
"When will you be back?" I looked at the floor. "Your not coming back?" He whispered and I looked up.
"The second I start this year. I'm a sophomore, meaning I will start getting scouted because I'm not counted as one of the rookies anymore. I have to do practices with the professional team and have to do my photo shoots, my career starts."
"What about us?" He asked and a guy jumped on his back.
"Hey dude!" The boy yelled at James. James shook him off.
"Not now Seth!" James yelled and he jumped out as I jumped.
"I don't think it has to change anything between us, unless your going to sleep with the nurse that replaces me!" I yelled at him. Seth stared at us.
"You know that isn't going to happen." I bit my lip hard.
"Why do you have to be so frustrating?" I turned and he grabbed my waist.
"Emily. Stop. Talk to me." I sighed and turned before hugging him tightly.
"I'll see you in the tent dude." Seth said as James hugged me tighter.
"I'm sorry. I was exposed to be here for at least another two weeks. I don't know what I'm going to do." He kissed my forehead.
"Well, promise me, you will wait for me." I shivered as his breath brushed my ear.
"Only if you do the same." He lifted my chin and connected our lips. "Okay. I pulled out the marker that I had kept in my pocket and wrote down my phone number. "Call me whenever you can. I'll tell you my Skype when you call."
"Alright. I'll be in the field tomorrow." I nodded.
"Do me a favor and don't die?" He grinned and kissed my cheek.
"I....I love you Em." I grinned up at him.
"Love you too." His grin spread as we were separated.