Chapter 27 : Aftermath

The sun was beating down, the air thick with humidity and determination.

It was the final game of the tournament, and our team had made it to the final.

I sucked in a breath of air as I dodged yet another defender, only to be cut off at the three-quater mark by another.

Fuck. I muttered to myself internally, cursing the ground these players walked upon. Were they being fed steriods or something?

I had barely scored one goal, booting the ball with precise accuracy before being rammed into by a tank of a girl. I swear, this entire team was jacked.

Whereas I knew I had muscle, and my build was pretty damn fucking amazing - this was just insanity. At least mine was balanced, these girls managed to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Spock all at the same time.

I paced myself back midfield, watching in despair as my teammates were trampled and tossed aside like fucking dolls.

I couldn't fight back a grin as Sophie, with cunning and agility, stole the ball from one of them.

In my mind, there was only one way to win this game. Overpower them using nothing but speed.

That's where they lacked.

You see, there was a downside to having too much muscle. Whereas they had a lot of power, and could easily win a head-to-head, speed was always the downfall.

Sophie made a run for it, doing her best to keep up her pace and maintain her footwork at the same time - before being closed in by two defenders, in desperation, she booted the ball upfield in my direction.

I managed to stop the ball with the inside of my foot, turning 180.

I scanned the field, looking for an opening. I saw one, bracing myself for the defender who came straight at me.

She got closer, and closer, and I swore I could almost feel the rumble of the ground beneath me each time her feet would make contact with the grass.

I analysed her, trying to figure out her weakness, which way she'd expect me to run, how she would try to steal the ball.

It had turned into a game of chicken. Her being the unrelenting fucking train, obviously.

I waited it out until I swore I could see the golden flecks in her eyes and the sweat dripping down her forhead. I made my move.

It worked, I dummied to the right and with inhumane speed I darted through the rest of the players, who were not quick enough to catch me.

It all came down to this, just a few minutes left on the clock and only one player left to beat - the keeper.

Just as I was about to bring my leg up to launch the ball, a sudden sharp pain shot up my leg.

Some fucking Thor of a player had tackled me, but she went straight for my ankle.

I came crashing down with a thud, the ground rushing up to meet me and I was blinded instantly by a blurry mass of green.

"Fuck!" I cried out. The wind was completely knocked out of me. I was so blinded by pain, and the loud ringing in my ears that I hadn't even heard the referee blow the whistle and pull a red card out of his pocket.

I clutched my leg in pain, gritting my teeth.

"Kim! You okay?" I heard Sophie run up to me, crouching at my side.

"Jesus." She muttered.

"Wember! Get up, we have a match to finish." Hannah yelled.

I would have retorted if I wasn't in so much agony, but it seemed Sophie had beat me to it, anyway.