Chapter 5 : Oblivious

It was early Friday morning when I heard the front door slamming. I picked up my phone reluctantly , checking the time. It was only 4:30am , no doubt my mother had just left. That was the last my brother and I would hear from her for another good three weeks or so. As much as it pains me to admit it , it actually upset me a little. But of course the bigger part of me was overjoyed that she was gone , less arguments and tension around the house. Even though we barely saw her when she was in fact at home , she still managed to pollute the atmosphere in the house with her dull , negative aura that she radiated even when she was in a good mood. Not to mention how embarrassed I was at the fact that she'd overhead Carmen and I going at it. I suppose it came as a shock knowing that she was now aware of the fact that I fucked girls. I would have told her sooner , not that there would be much to tell. Considering I wasn't a lesbian , that I simply enjoyed it. Naturally , she wouldn't understand so I didn't bother.

I glanced down to see my foot in Aaron's face as he was sprawled out on the opposite side of the couch , snoring loudly. His arm lying limply off the side. I grumbled softly as I tried getting comfortable , Aaron's foot dug into my back as I relaxed back into the leather , making me uncomfortable and restless. I groaned and forced myself up , dragging myself into the kitchen for some coffee. I switched on the soft lodge nightlight that was mounted against the wall above the counter where the kettle stood , and flipped the switch for it to boil. It might have been early and I might have been tired , but I knew I wasn't going back to sleep.  My eyes lingered over a text Casey had sent me last night.

We need to talk.

My stomach churned abruptly as I read it , chewing on the inside of my cheek in uncertainty. I tried to supress the feeling of nervousness that was surfacing , turning my attention back to the kettle to finish making my coffee. I clutched the mug tightly in attempt to warm up my fingers , ignoring the slight sting the warmth left on my skin. I pulled on Ash's Zoo York hoodie that was on the coat hanger by our front door, pulling it over my shoulders and zipping it up to my chin. I took a box of cigarettes and a flick-lighter that had a naked women printed on it, also belonging to my brother, and slipped both into my pocket. I unlocked the front door , and closed it softly , careful not to wake Aaron as I stepped outside and walked around the back of the house to the porch, taking another sip of my bitter coffee. I sat down on one of the outdoor recliners , setting my coffee down on the coffee table and lighting a cigarette , doing the same with the lighter. It was a typical spring morning, a slight refreshing chill in the air and not a breath of wind. As I inhaled deeply , the smoke filling my lungs , I glanced back down at my phone , eyeing Casey's number. I knew she wouldn't be awake , but a part of me so badly wanted to talk to her, to hear her voice. Whereas the other part of me was yelling, telling me to grow a pair and get over it. My finger ghosted over the dial button , trying to decide whether or not now would be the best time. I did it anyway, I phoned her. I listened to the dialing tone for a while until it was interrupted by static and a short silence.

"Hello?" Her voice was coarse and scratchy, I could tell she was most probably exhausted and wouldn't be in the best of moods considering the early hour I'd decided to phone her awake. The simple sound of her voice had caused an eruption of butterflies to awake in my stomach, and chills to rapidly travel down my spine & into the pit of my stomach.

"Hellooo?" This time her voice was louder, laced with annoyance. I was about to answer , but the words were trapped in my throat, refusing to leave my lips.

"Seriously, dude , I don't know who you are or why the fuck you're phoning but I seriously don't see the point in-"

"It's Kimberly." I mumbled softly into the speaker, hoping she hadn't heard me. There was another silence and I heard her shifting around on the other end.