Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Charlie

*About a week later*

The past week I've seen Mark about twice since we decided to hang out in the mornings. Either I haven't been up early or he was doing something else. We tried our best to do this almost everyday but so far no consistency. He hasn't texted me either, but hey I guess this friendship wasn't going to last anyway, that's fine with me.

"Charlie!" My mother called out to me and I reacted as fast as possible and answered back.

"Yes?"

"A young man wants to see you, he says he knows you. His name is Mark?"

My eyes widened in surprise, why is he here?

I rush down over to my mother and she did not look pleased at all, I was scared.

"Hey Charlie." Mark peacefully said.

I didn't want my mother to get upset with me so I did what I had to do. "Hello, but do I know you?"

"It's me Mark, you know the dude that tries to hang out with you at the beach every morning."

"I'm sorry but I do not know what you are talking about."

"Are you serious?" He said through a gritted mouth.

"I'm sorry but I don't associate with anyone in particular."

"Wow, okay then, I guess I have the wrong girl then. Have a nice day." He backed away and just walked away angrily.

I close the door and begin to walk back to my room, but my mother stopped me, "Charlie."

"Yes mother." I was trying to be angelic.

"Are you sure you don't know that young man?"

"I'm pretty sure, you know I don't really have friends mom."

She walked closer to me and stood about 5-10 inches away from me. Her stare cold as it could get was directed right at me.

"If I see you with people like that than you know what you must do."

"I know, but-"

"No buts Charlie, you know how I am with those kind of people."

"I know."

She took a single breath and became pleased, " well that's good. I don't want my daughter disobeying me, right?"

"Yes mother."

"Good, now go upstairs and do something that God would be proud of you doing." She turns me around and pushes me away to my room. 

*
*

It was late at night and I was alone in my room doing the usual nothing. I haven't done my prayer for the night yet so I'll do that in a bit. As I took a small breath I hear my phone buzz on my bed side table several times. I grab it and swipe it to unlock it.

"Hello?"

"What the hell?!?" A manly voice yelled angrily.

"What?"

"You know what you did! Why did you say you didn't know who I was?!"

"Because my mother answered the door and she would be really upset if I talked to someone that looked like you." I softly whispered.

"Why are you whispering?"

"Because if my mother hears me talking to someone and catches me talking to you she is going to question me who I am talking with."

"Grow a pair and just go against your mother and grow the fuck up."

"Don't curse at me." My whispers got a bit louder.

"Do not fucking tell me what to do."

"Well don't tell me what to do."

"So what does this mean?"

"Maybe we can't associate with each other anymore."

"We never did anyway, we only saw each other four other times, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to stop."

"Than why even bother questioning?"

"I wanted to see what you would say, to get an idea of where you stand. Now you know where I stand and it's not further than it was already."

"Well it should be."

"But it won't be." He said slightly above a whisper, but then he hung up. I didn't question it, I just dropped my phone on my bed and got down to my knees to do my prayer.

"Please God, protect me from harm and danger of anyone that enters my path. I do not want to go against of what I live for, nor do I want to do it anyway, but I fear of what I might do." I fell silent.