Chapter 12

The car ride to my parents house was agonizing. My stomach was killing me and I was overthinking. I didn't want to face my parents, but at the same time I did. I wanted to come out and get it over with.

"Hey, Dave. Is this the house?" Karkat asked suddenly, snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked out of his window to see a powder blue suburban house with a bright red door. I nodded and he pulled into the driveway.

My nerves went into overdrive as he drove up the gravel path. I felt like I was about to throw up and my head started spinning.

"Dave. Look, I know you're nervous, but you can do this, okay?" Karkat muttered soothingly. I took a few deep breaths in and out on his command and he helped me out of the car.

We walked up the few steps leading to the door and I knocked softly. I heard footsteps shuffle on the other side. The door opened to reveal a petite woman with ginger hair and a kind face. She pulled me into a tight hug before she noticed Karkat.

  "Um, Dave, dear, who's this?" She asked hesitantly. Fantastic, she already seemed shaky about it.

  "This is the person I wanted you to meet," I muttered, scared that she would have a fit about how 'being gay is a sin' and how I'm an abomination of some sort. I could only silently thank Karkat that he made the smart decision to wear long sleeves even under his thick coat. Those hid his tattoos fairly well. You could only see a bit of one curl up around his neck but you could only see it if you were focusing there.

  "Oh, well, come in. We'll all introduce ourselves," Mama cleared her throat gently and let us inside. I pulled my coat off and Karkat took it as an invitation to slide his off as well.

"I'll go get your father. Wait here," Mama muttered softly and walked away down a hall. I let out a jagged sigh when she was gone.

"Breathe, okay? You'll be fine," Karkat said. It calmed me a little but I was still a little worried. I don't want my parents to disown me. Especially not my foster parents.

My mom and dad walked back into the room. My dad looked more than upset and my mom seemed to be fairly confused. I would've asked myself why they were looking that way if I had told them about my sexuality beforehand. I should've told them while I was still in high school, but I put it off because I was scared. Now it's about ten or so years overdue.

  My dad straightened up a bit, trying to hide his scowl.

  "My name's Aaron," He said gruffly, holding his hand out for Karkat to shake.

  "My name is Charlotte," My mom said before Karkat could speak or even move, and held out her hand as well.

  "My name's Karkat, it's nice to meet you," Karkat replied, shaking each of their hands. He was always so polite when he met people.

  "That's your real name?" My dad asked, almost mockingly. No Dad, not now.

  "Yes, it's a Greek name. My mother was Greek and my grandmother chose the name," Karkat answered smoothly, not skipping a beat. I wish I had his confidence.

  "Come, sit down," Mama said softly. Dad shot her a small glance that he believe neither Karkat nor I caught, but doesn't realize that it was blatantly obvious.

  Mama led us to the dining room table and each of us sat down. Karkat sat next to me and my parents say just across from us. I could feel Karkat's ankle hook gently around mine and it helped a little, but I was still flipping my shit.

  "So, Dave, is there something you want to tell us?" Dad quizzed. He was being an ass and now wasn't the time for it.

  "Yeah, uh, this is really overdue, but um, I may or may not be gay." I said. I paused for a moment before sighing heavily.