1. Confrontation

Chapter 1

It was the first day of my last year at Heatherfield High in Wisconsin and I was running late. Well, it wasn't my fault. My best friend, Erin Parker, woke up late this morning and since I had no car of my own (it was sold to repay debts my useless father accumulated due to his gambling), I had to ride with her.

The first bell at Heatherfield Highschool rang at 8.00a.m. every morning and it was 7.47a.m. when Erin finally pulled into my street. 

"Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry!" she repeated when I got onto her car.

"Move!" I said. "We might be able to reach there on time if you keep up the speed at 80!"

Erin lived a few houses away from mine and the school was fifteen minutes’ drive away from our houses at her normal driving speed. 

Anyway, Erin looked as beautiful as any other day . She was dressed in a sky blue sundress which was about 3 inches above her knee. Her strawberries blonde hair was tied up in a sophisticated French twist, and she had some light make up on her heart shaped face. Erin had the longest eyelashes anyone had ever seen and was really pretty.

Me, on the other hand, was the total opposite. Okay, maybe I wasn't that bad, as mom and Erin pointed out before. Long, straight chestnut brown hair framed my face, and I had really big blue eyes, with eyelashes just shy of Erin's. I don't put on any make up, since I really didn't want to attract too much attention to myself.

People have asked, as much as I have asked myself, why such a beauty like Erin, would pick me to be her best friend. She would smile and say, without pausing to think, "Because she's a really wonderful person."

I am? I don't know. 

Anyway, back to the present, of course Erin, being a careful driver, wouldn't exceed the speed limit of 70km/h, so we reach school just as the bell rang. 

"Damn." I muttered under my breath.

"Don't worry, A. It's just the first day." Erin chuckled as she led the way to our first class.

I was having first period Geography together with her, so we went to the same place.

Erin knocked the door of the classroom and without waiting for an answer, she walked in.

"As you can see, we -" Our geography teacher, Ms Joanne Sanders was speaking and when we came in she stopped and stared, just like the rest of the class did. 

"I'm sorry Ms Sanders, we got lost." Erin said, giving her best puppy dog look.

Yeah she was great at this look. With a little pout and widening of her eyes, Erin was able to get almost everything she wanted. Even Ms Sanders liked her.

"Alright, you two. It’s just the first day so I'll let you girls off. Don't do it again." Ms Sanders said with a nod. 

Thanking her, I walked to the empty seats at the side of the class and sat down, with my best friend sitting next to me.

"So as I was saying," Ms Sanders continued. "That we have a new friend today. Isabella, do introduce yourself to the class." 

Everyone turned to look at the new girl who was sitting at the back of the class.

"Hi, I'm Isabella Ray." she said shyly while standing up.

In my opinion, Isabella look rather messed up. She had her black hair in a low bun, and wore an outfit which was at least two sizes bigger than her. On her make up-less face, she had on huge round specs, making her look geeky. However, behind that façade, I thought I could see a really confident girl with a great body that girls would die for.