8. Realization

Chapter 8

Annabeth

My eyes widened as I registered what Arden had said. Damn, I wasn’t expecting that, and I couldn’t afford that. I needed to come in first again, I needed the prize money. I wouldn’t let it all go to waste just because of a useless boy.

“Son of a bitch.” I muttered.

He smirked, opening up the map Ms. Sanders had given us.

“I’m waiting, Hale.”

“Fine.” I murmured, snatching the map from his hands.

“I can’t hear you.”

“Fine!” I half yelled.

I saw Erin looked at me, asking if I was okay. I nodded.

The rest of the lesson went on unusually slowly and Arden and I pretended to ask each other questions about the map. When the bell rang, I stood up immediately, inviting stares from everyone in the room as well as Ms. Sanders.

“Not so fast, Annabeth.” She said.

I could feel my face grow warm as snickers came from the class. There was an amused look on Arden’s face as I sat down.

“What? Am I gonna eat you?” he asked.

I glared at him.

“Weren’t you? ‘Cause from the way I saw it, you looked like a hungry wild boar.”

Arden’s face turned serious as his eyes widened.

“What? A pig?” he turned to the two girls beside us.

“Do I look like a wild boar?” he asked.

They got so excited that Arden Vander had spoken to them for the first time in their four years in this school that they started squealing to each other.

“Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!” The girl names Rebecca said.

“Eeeeeeeeeeee!!” her partner squealed.

Arden frowned.

“Are they going to answer me?” he asked himself just as Ms. Sanders dismissed the class. I jumped out of my seat, went across the classroom to get Erin and Isabella, before running out of the classroom within seconds.

“What?” Erin asked as they both stared at me, amused.

We had ran all the way to our lockers because I wouldn’t stop till I reached far enough from Arden. I tried to catch my breath as I turned the code for my locker.

“I.. I hate.. t-that class!” I exclaimed in between breaths.

I did. Why did Arden have to ruined a perfectly fine class by wanting to partner me. Oh God. I was so gonna get it by the other girls. Not only did I offend him, I was partnering him! And those girls, Rebecca and partner... They were going to tell everyone I called him a pig! Oh my oh my, my life is over!

I threw my face in my hands. NOOOO.

“Drama much?”

“You called Arden a pig?!” Erin and Isabella said together, making me realize I might have said that out loud.

“You called Arden a pig?!” Paige asked, coming from behind me. “Hey everyone, Annabeth Hale called our prince Arden a pig!”

I groaned as more people surrounded us, all shooting me death glares. My life in this school was indeed over as people started throwing stuffs like pens and pencils at me. Erin and Isabella tried blocking them but I pushed them away. They were only getting hit before the pencils reached me.