Chapter 2

MAXI'S POV

I was sat in the lifeguard tower with Jesse, Harrison and Whippet eating lunch. There were only 6 of us on patrol today as the beach was so empty. Reidy and Gonzo were out changing the dangerous current signs down by the water while the remaining 4 of us were cooped up in the tower.

I felt like getting outside even if it was cold and drizzly. I asked the other boys if anyone else wanted to come down with me and we could swap with Reidy and Gonzo.
"Yeah sure, I need some fresh air anyway." Volunteered Harrison, as he picked up his keys and phone of the desk and placed them in his pocket.

As I turned around to do the same I spotted something or should I say someone motionless at least 2.5km out to sea.
"Oh God! Look!!" I shouted as I grabbed the binoculars and had a closer look. I confirmed to the other boys it looked like girl, unconscious and drowning. Me and Harrison sprinted down the steps from the tower and jumped into the buggy and we sped down to backpackers rip (south end). Whippet decided to man the tower and send Jesse down as well with the defibrillator, he also radioed Reidy and Gonzo to tell them to get down from north end and assist with what was going on at south.

As soon as I got down to the water I ripped my top off over my head, threw it to the ground and sprinted to the rescue board, which was a few metres to the side of me. I grabbed the board in my right hand and sprinted into the sea. Each step was harder to take as the water held me back. I jumped on top of the board and paddled as hard and fast as I could. It felt like everything was in slow motion. I was watching this girl go deeper and deeper underwater, right in front of me. My arms and legs were burning as the gruelling wind and distance tried to hold me back, but my adrenaline gave me the energy to continue. I knew I wouldn't stop.

When I finally reached the girl she was lifeless, I reached to the side of my board and grabbed her arm, as it was the first part of her body I made contact with. I pulled her as hard as I could and stared at the motionless body lying in front of me.