Chapter 12

MEGAN'S POV
As Tom, Max and Harrison walked back through the door both mine and Maxi's eyes were bloodshot from the crying. He was still stroking my hand and Tom asked if everything was alright. Maxi could have guessed I didn't want to go through all of that again tonight... and I hadn't even told him everything.

"Could I have a quick word with you Maxi.. outside" asked Tom.
"Yeah. Sure" replied Maxi.

As they left outside some more lifeguards came in. They introduced themselves as Whippet, Jesse and Deano. Harrison sat in Maxi's place on my bed and the other lifeguards stood around me. As Max did some more checks on me I just wanted to know what Tom and Maxi were discussing. When Harrison turned around and asked..
" so what is your name?" I looked up at him warily. Could I trust him with my real name? Identify? I looked to the other lifeguards and they all gave me reassuring looks.
"I'm betting Brooke" said Jesse.
"I'm betting Jessie" said Whippet, with a smirk on his face.
"I'm betting Megan" said Deano.

I looked at him. Surprised. I slowly nodded. Of all the names how did he get it right?
"Well it's lovely to meet you Megan" said Harrison with a smile.

Maxi and Tom came back in. So Maxi has informed me of what you told him and we are going to need to report this. First to social services, the police and then we'll see what happens from there.

"You did what?!" I screamed.
I trusted Maxi how could he set me up like this. This was it. My life was over. I was gonna be some care kid no one would care about. I'd be tossed on the rubbish pile and forgotten about. Forced to move from one place to another. Never settling down. Never having a childhood.

"It's going to be fine" said Tom.
"Fine it's all going to be fine?! For you yeah. But for me? Do you have any idea what kind of life I'm going to have, if any?"
"No listen" said Maxi.
"No you listen to me. I trusted you and I haven't trusted anyone in ages. You were meant to be different. Help. Make my life better. You said YOU would help me. But really all you're doing is getting the gossip and passing me on for someone else to deal with. Thanks. Thanks a lot."

Max looked at me. "Everything's going to be..."
"Fine?! Yeah I get it Max. Now can you all just leave me alone. Please!" I sat back in the bed and pulled he blankets up and rolled onto my side.

I watched them all leave and saw them all go to the left and stay there in a huddle. I knew my plan. I wasn't going to stay here. I pushed the covers over, sat up and turned my body so my feet touched the cold floor. I had nothing. No shoes. Clothes or anything. But I still had to go. Made lighter travelling I suppose.

I stood up, wobbling a bit and then regaining my balance. And walked to the curtain of my cubicle. I peered over and saw them all in a group on the left. I headed off right. I was walking quickly until I heard whippet say "isn't that Megan?!"

I heard the trainers squeak on the floor as they all turned around. I looked at them all before sprinting. They all started running. Maxi, Harrison, Deano, Whippet, Jesse, Max and Tom.

The chase was on...