Chapter 11

MAXI'S POV
I sat perched on the bed beside her legs. She sat upright resting her back against the bed, with her hands linked and laying on her stomach.
"So..." I tried to start the conversation. I didn't know where to start. She hadn't said a word.
"Please. Can you tell me your name?" I was pleading to her.
"Is someone threatening you? Are you in danger? Why were you out in the surf fully clothed? Can I call anyone to let them know you're safe? You're parents will be worrying" As I said this I could see her getting irritated, but if this is what it took for her to say anything I was going to keep going.

"Right you need to hear this. I'm going to make sure you're okay, I will personally protect you, make sure you get better. You need to trust me. I won't leave you." She looked up to my eyes and they locked. I felt so protective over her. I still needed answers so I proceeded the questioning.

"So can I call your parents then? Where's your phone? They'll be really worried? Don't put them through this" she was tensing her hands and clearly getting annoyed by the mention of her parents.
"They can come and visit you, they'll want to know their little girls is okay"

"Okay... my parents will want to know I'm OKAY?! Will they really. Cause that's why..." as she said this I knew there was something else to come. Something important. It was the first thing she'd said and I needed to know the rest of that sentence.
"Carry on. You were going to say something. You can trust me. I promise" I told her as I rested her hands in mine.

".... that's why I've been living in an abandoned flat alone for the past 5 months. Scraping by with hardly any water the only food being the left overs of restaurants along the Bondi pavilion."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. But there was worse to come.
"My parents walked out on me."
"I'm so sorry. I can't believe how you've been living it's terrible. Why did your parents leave you?"

"My dad abused me for years. Since I was 6, my mum didn't believe me and even when she did she took his side. They both just left me and walked out. They left me nothing- no food, house, money or even clothes. They sold all my stuff and left me with only the clothes on my back." My heart was breaking as I listened. I kissed her on the forehead and pulled her in to a hug. She started to sob. I rubbed her back and tried to soothe her.

"You've got me. I promise I won't ever let you go back to living like that. I will always be her for you."

MEGAN'S POV
... and for once I believed someone.