Chapter 15

MAXI'S POV
"We've managed to stabilised her," Tom delivered the long awaited news. As he continued "She isn't out of the woods yet, at the moment she is in a private room in the paediatric unit. We are trying to gradually warm her up, as she has severe hypothermia currently and also maintain her vitals, so she is okay for surgery."

As he said that I immediately panicked. "Don't worry, it is a fairly low risk operation. It's just to fix the damage done by the glass, in her hand."

Knowing it was for her hand reassured me a bit, but unfortunately I knew there was more to come. As Tom went to continue his sentence I braced myself for the next bit of news. "However it does also seem the stitches have come undone on her stomach and the infection has worsened, due to the bacteria which was in the bin shed."

I immediately felt guilt again, this could have all been avoided if I had stopped her from running out or gone about things the 'right' way. With more sensitivity perhaps. 

"Max is currently hooking her up to some intravenous antibiotics to help with the infection. You can come and see her if you wish, however she is currently unconscious and could be for some time. But the thing to remember is she is stable"

I released a sigh of relief that had been building for the past few hours.

"Well why don't me and maxi stay tonight and the rest of you get some rest" suggested Harrison.
"Good idea," said Deano.
"I'll come in the morning Maxi, I've got the day off" offered Jesse.
"Yeah and I'll cover your shift tomorrow Max, just focus on helping Meg". I was grateful for whippet, forever the sensible one.

I thanked the guys as they all wished Meg a speedy recovery. Myself and Harrison saw the guys off, before following Tom into Megan's room. As Harrison opened the door she lay there, white as a sheet with even more tubes and wires and machines coming out of her. "I'll leave you to it" said Tom, as Max finished fiddling with the tubes.

Harrison pulled up some new chairs and took his jacket off, hooking it onto the back of the seat before sitting down and looking at Megan. I was still stood by the door starring at her. "Come on Max, sit down" Harrison gestured to the seat next to him. I darted my gaze to him and walked over to the seat before sitting down and holding onto Megan's hand.

"Gonna be a long night" Harrison said looking at me. My eyes stayed looking at Megan as the night continued in silence. A little while later I turned to look at Harrison, asleep. It had been a long and stressful day, I too could feel my eyes starting to close. I was determined to stay awake as long as I could.