Chapter 4

MAXI'S POV

She had lost consciousness again. I looked back to the beach to find Harrison was paddling out. I raised my hand and gave the 3 pulls of the chain. I turned back around to face the body in my arms. I lay her on her front as Harrison shouted "is she breathing?!"
"I'm not sure!" I replied "I don't think so!"
I began paddling as hard as I could Harrison had turned around and was paddling to the beach to give an update to the rest of the boys.

JESSE'S POV

When I saw him give the three pulls of the chain my heart sank. I radioed the tower to confirm they had received the signal too. I also told them we would definitely need an ambo. Harrison was approaching the sand after paddling out. "Get the defib out!" I'd never seen a look like it on Harrison's face as he gave me the order-he may have only been a trainee but he certainly knew what he was doing when it came down to it. I began to unzip the bag surrounding the defib as the two from north end turned up. As Harrison finally hit the beach he updated Reidy and Gonzo on the situation, their faces also dropped. We turned to the water and saw maxi was reaching the sand, the girl still wasn't moving.

MAXI'S POV

The boys were on the beach; I could see the defib, oxygen and spinal board was all laid out ready and they had cleared the few people on the beach out of the way. I hit the sand. I picked the girl up. My whole body was aching and my arms were stinging from the gruelling paddle. I carried her up the beach to meet the other boys. Immediately we laid her down and stripped her clothes off as they were heavy,wet and cold. Gonzo grabbed her head. We had to treat this as a suspected spinal as we didn't know what had happened. Then Reidy placed an oxy mask on her as I dried her chest and jesse put the pads on. Harrison started compressions, I stepped back and looked at her face. "She's only a teen!" I cried. I hadn't had chance to look at her properly yet. I radioed to the tower to ask for an ambo update and give some more stats "female, she looks about 14-16, no pulse not breathing,"
"Ambo about 7 minutes" reported Whippet.

I concentrated back on the girl, I didn't even know her name and yet here she was, about to die in front of me, not even having made it through school. They were on about the third round of compressions and finally they were about to shock her. We watched her body jump as the shock was delivered... no response. Compressions were started again while the defib re-charged, every shock she didn't respond to her chances of coming back decreased majorly. As the beep from the defib signalled it was ready Harrison stopped compressions and we delivered another shock. Her body jumped again, I held my breath... no response. The third time was her last chance, we didn't know how long her brain had been starved of oxygen. Harrison continued compressions before the beep on defib sounded he stepped back. We all looked at this girl lying dead in front of us. We held our breath as her last shock and chance of life was delivered...