Chapter 8

MAXI'S POV
I followed close behind. We were weaving in and out of people, down corridor after corridor until we approached two large doors which were immediately opened. "unknown female, mid teens. Found drowned at Bondi. Been resuscitated twice, and has collapsed again after we found cuts over her body." Said one doctor to the awaiting staff. I stood at the end of the bed not knowing what to do. They stuck pads on her chest, clips on her fingers and needles in her arms. "She's arrested!" Shouted a nurse. With that they began chest compressions and bagged her. I felt like my heart had stopped too. After four cycles there was no change. They shocked her once. 5 minutes had passed. That turned to 10. To 20. At 25 minutes I was loosing hope. My eyes were stinging from crying. A receptionist had her arm around me and just kept whispering "have faith. She hasn't had her last breath yet". As it seemed all hope was gone a noise sounded. One that was music to my ears.

I looked on the monitor and there was a heart beat. "I have a pulse" once the doctor declared that everyone breathed a sigh of relief. I ran over to her head and began stroking it. I swept the hair out of her face and looked at the poor, defenceless body that lay before me. Some of the staff left leaving a doctor called Tom and a nurse called max. They bought me a chair and asked me to sit down before beginning to talk.

"She is stable and we are expecting her to wake up, but we don't know when it could be minutes, hours, weeks even. All we know is when she does wake up there are going to be a lot of questions asked" as the doctor said this he had a concerned look on his face. I was very confused. At this moment Harrison walked through the doors. "Oh my gosh mate, what happened?! I've been worried sick, we all have. What's her condition?" He walked over to me, gave me a hug and sat on the chair next to me. His eyes began to fill up as he looked at her broken soul and body just lying there.
"She's been resuscitated three times. It's gonna get harder each time." I said taking hold of her hand.
"If I may interrupt for a minute" said the doctor. "The reason she collapsed is because her heart was put under a lot of strain and stress at one moment. We found a lot of cuts on her limbs and stomach and when we asked her she flipped. Stood on the bed and pulled everything out. The cuts. They look self inflicted. Do you know this person at all?". I told him no. I'd never seen her before. All I knew was when she woke there was going to be a lot of questions. The cuts? The drowning? The Unknown identity?...