Chapter 5

MAXI'S POV

"Shock delivered," as that same recorded message was played, this was it. I waited to be instructed by the machine to check for a pulse. When that all too familiar voice sounded I did so. I warily took my two fingers and placed them on her neck. I couldn't feel anything... THUD!! There it was. THUD!! Again. And again. And again. She had a pulse! "There's a pulse!" I shouted "I've got her pulse!" The relief on the boys faces hit like a wave as colour flooded them again. We rolled her on her side and into the recovery position. She began coughing and salt water was flowing from her mouth. Then BANG! Her eyes opened and stared straight into mine. "Hello, hello can you hear me?" I grabbed her hand "I need you to squeeze my hand if you can hear me!" I felt a weak and shaky tug at my hand. "Okay, that's great, I'm Maxi. I'm a lifeguard you're on Bondi Beach. "
She closed her eyes again. I gently shook her shoulders, trying to get a response.
" I need you to try and stay awake for me, please. Open your eyes," i said. Looking at her blank face. She warily opened and closed her eyes a few times before locking them on me.
"There we go," I said smiling at her. Harrison smiled at me and placed an oxygen mask on her. Reidy lay a towel on her to cover her goose-bumped skin. Whippet reported the ambo was just coming down the promenade.
"There is an ambulance on its way, the paramedics will be here in a second and they'll take you to hospital. Can you tell me your name please?" I asked her. She just stared blankly back at me. I had no idea who this girl was but I instantly felt so protective of her. I turned around and saw the paramedics walking down the sand towards us. I recognised one of them...