Chapter 8

Percy’s POV

“You good, Luke?” I whispered as I landed on the branch next to him.

“Yep. I haven’t seen anything yet.”

I nodded at him and executed a perfect flip off that branch and on to the next one, continuing along the tress, feeling like Spider-man stuck in a forest. I could hear Luke laughing quietly about me “showing off” again. “I’ll show him ‘showing off’,” I muttered to myself, jumping through the trees in a tight circle, landing back on the branch where Luke was. I tapped him on the shoulder, and then melted into a portal while he jumped and turned around, already drawing his weapon.

I jumped out of the portal onto the branch above him and kicked my legs back and forth like a little kid, laughing my head off. He gave me such an evil glare I doubled over, almost falling off the branch I was laughing so hard.

“Not funny, Perce. Not funny at all.”

“Well,” I said when I caught my breath, “it was kinda funny.”

He just rolled his eyes at me and I took that as my cue to continue on my rounds. It was about midnight, and I was “commanding my troops” as Chaos loved to put it. The campers were all asleep because Nick decided we got guard duty. “If they’re going to give us help we don’t need, they might as well guard our camp and let us sleep,” was his precise words, I believe. Whatever. I’ll worry about him later.

Now, when we joined the Omega Division, Chaos put us each through intense training. We had learned a long time ago how to go for days without sleep, potentially much longer with help from our powers, but none of us had tested it that far. So I posted my group along the borders of camp, along with few scattered in the forest because of what happened with the labyrinth. I, as commander, had the job of running between them constantly to make sure everything was okay. Of course, we could communicate telepathically, but I wanted to make sure we didn’t miss anything. Plus, I would be bored otherwise.

I was running toward the next post, Atalanta’s, when they caught me. Well, at least they tried to catch me. I could’ve got away if I wanted to. I sensed the presence of eight people ahead of me, but I kept running towards them, pretending I hadn’t noticed them.

Right as I was passing over them, I felt the air solidify around me and a strong gust slammed me into the ground. I still couldn’t see them in the complete darkness, but I still knew where they were. They surrounded me, and I was about to strike at the nearest one when I noticed they were unarmed.

“What do you want?” I asked, as politely as one could after being knocked out of a tree by one of these people.

“We just want to talk to you.” I could hear the charmspeak in the girl’s voice and knew it must be Piper McLean. Chaos did make us do our homework before we came here, you know.

 I just laughed at the attempt. “Your charmspeak won’t work on me. Chaos’s power is stronger than all of the Olympians combined, it can cancel out any of them and control all of them. Besides, it’s not like I’m going to hurt you. We’re on the same side.”