Chapter 15

[A/N: This one's dedicated to MagicDolphin for getting the question right literally within five minutes of when I posted the chapter. I don't think anyone's commented that fast before :) The answer is Perseus, Jason, and Odysseus]

Annabeth's POV

This couldn't be happening. The only allies we could have in this war, and they're all either dead or missing. Now don't get me wrong, I hate the Romans, but we desperately need their help. And think about all the beautiful architecture that had been destroyed...

Lambda took Omicron to find somewhere safe for him to rest, while I went to see how much damage had been done to New Rome with the others. Omicron had somehow transported us inside the Caldecott Tunnel, so first we came to the river, which perfectly reflected the condition of New Rome. There was barely a trickle of water running along the bottom of where the river had once been, so small we could easily jump over it.

"How did this happen?" I whispered as we looked up in awe at what had once been the Decumanian Gate, and now was only a few pieces of wood hanging from the hinges still left attached to the watchtowers on either side. The edges were charred and the rest of the wall looked like it would disintegrate simply by touching it.

"I thought you were supposed to know everything," Thalia said jokingly, but in this situation it sounded almost automatic, like the shock was preventing her from putting any emotion into what she was saying.

"Come on," I said as I finally realized how long we had been standing there. "We need to scout out the entire camp and then go find Omicron and Lambda."

We wandered along the road to the city so we could look around the Senate House. It had been the only building that the Seven of us who had been here before had seen the inside of, mostly because the Romans at the time had wanted to get rid if us as fast as possible. Trust me, the feeling was mutual.

I noticed Alec lagging behind in the back of the group, looking like he didn't feel like he belonged. I slowed my pace to match his, and tried to think of something to say to take his mind off of the current situation. It was hard because every time I looked at him, I was reminded of the huge secret I had been keeping for about the past three hundred years. Someone eventually was going to find out, and then he would hate me...

I looked around, trying to find something to mention, when I saw the temple for Minerva. It had been a beautiful domed building on Temple Hill, though it was smaller than the others, but now it was literally only a pile of rubble, with half of a statue still standing at the front of it.

I tried to turn away quickly, but Alec followed my gaze and saw the remains of the temple to the Roman form of my mother. He sighed. "It's sad me that someone would do that to the temple of our mother."

My relationship with Alec might seem really strange to anyone who isn't used to godly relations and immortality, but to everyone else it was fairly normal. I had raised him pretty much from the beginning, and even though we have the same godly parent, I'm still like a second mother to him.

"Yes, but I hardly think that's the worst part of all of this. We all hate the Romans, but no one deserves this." I sighed, still taking in all of the wreckage, when I noticed everyone else entering the Senate House.

"Come on, we need to catch up."

Alec and I started walking faster down to the domed building that didn't exactly have a dome anymore, when we heard screams of surprise coming from inside the Senate House. I exchanged a look with Alec, and then we started sprinting down the road.

The scene inside was not at all what I expected. Thalia, Sigma, and Nico were completely surrounded by a group of about fifty Romans, led by a crazy-looking augur that looked almost identical to Octavian. But that couldn't be possible. Octavian's been dead for hundreds of years.

He stood imperiously before Thalia and said, "I can tell that you are Greeks. The punishment for being here is death!"

The other Romans roared their approval, and I couldn't think of a way to get our friends out of there. I was about to tell Alec that we should tell Omicron what happened, when I noticed he was sneaking around the room against the back wall. I started to follow him, but before I could reach him, he tensed, and looked ready to attack the Roman soldier in front of him, probably planning to hold him hostage or something.

I wanted to yell at him that it wouldn't work, when the Roman soldier felt his presence and turned around, right when Alec was about to attack him.

"No!" I yelled as the Roman quickly drove his sword into Alec's chest before he could even react. I ran toward him and caught him as he fell backward, with a surprised look on his face. His weight dragged us both to the ground and I knelt there with his head in my lap as the Romans brought Thalia, Sigma, and Nico over to us and created a circle around us.

"Sorry, mom. That was a stupid move. I guess I'm not a very good son of Athena."

I was trying not to cry as he stared up at me, gasping for breath. "Alexandros Walker, you are not dying on me!" I whispered tightly gripping his hand.

"I can heal him," a voice whispered in my ear, one that I instantly recognized.

"Omicron?" I said, looking around slightly.

I instantly felt a hand reach out and touch the back of mine that wasn't holding Alec. "Shh, I'm invisible. Sigma called us. I might have enough energy to heal him. At least, I can try. I'm the only soldier of Chaos that has healing power."

I could tell he was lying to me. Creating a portal for all of us had drained him way too much. If he tried to heal Alec, he would probably end up dying himself, and I couldn't let that happen.

"No," I whispered back. "I can heal him another way. Do you have enough energy to summon water?"

"Yeah, sure. That's easy," he replied, sounding surprised.

I nodded and looked up at the sky. "Hecate!" I yelled. "Thank you for everything you did for Alec, but I need you to remove the spell now so I can save him. Please!"

Mist appeared around us and started to thicken, swirling around Alec. As I looked down at him, his eyes changed from their odd gray color to the sea-green that I had missed so much for the last three hundred years.

Alec looked at me, confused as to what had happened, while everyone else gasped in surprise at the distinct green color.

"Omicron, can you create water around his wound now?"

The Romans backed up quickly in surprise when water appeared, drawn straight out of the air. It covered the wound, and instantly healed it.

"Mom, what's going on?" Alec asked, quickly sitting up and feeling where his injury had been. "How did that just happen?"

I sighed. "I guess I have some explaining to do."

[A/N: In The Titan's Curse, when Percy goes to the Oracle to ask how to save Annabeth, what souvenir does he pick up on the way out that he had helped recover?]