22 - Omega Way of Life

I wake up early in the morning. I stretch and yawn before getting up and heading down stairs.

In the kitchen Theresa is working over the stove while everyone talks over the table. I notice an extra place set up and guess it’s for me.

Everyone smiles as I take the seat.

Theresa sets a bowl of bacon on the table and goes back to the stove. “Dig in whenever you want. Noone eats much and I already set aside a plate for myself.”

I nodd and grab a few pieces for my plate. Wiley shakes his head a little. “Don’t worry about doing anything wrong here. We’re all Omegas so there no real rules in the house. It’s out there that we have to bow down to everyone else.”

I frown a little and nibble on a bacon piece. May laughs a little. “Don’t scare her Wiley. Let her get used to it.”

Wiley shakes his head again. “May, you don’t even know how bad it is some times. You haven’t shifted yet so you’re still safe.”

Joey clears his throat. “Enough of this talks at the table. May, you should know better than to argue. And Wiley, don’t get onto your sister. She’ll learn in time if she is meant to. Let’s just hope her mate is found before that time comes.”

Everyone is quiet for the rest of the meal.

After I help clean up in the kitchen I step out onto the porch and look out.

Someone pokes me from behind and I yelp. I turn to find Wiley snickering.

I squint my eyes and growl making Wiley run of the porch. He shifts and prances around. I laugh and shift and run after him.

Wiley tucks his tail and runs as I chase him.

Surprisingly it takes me a while to catch him but when I do, I pin him to the ground and nip his ear before letting him up. ‘Don’t poke me.’

Wiley laughs. ‘I won’t do it again.’

I nodd. ‘Good. So what jobs exactly do you Omega’s do?’

Wiley sits and tilts his head. ‘Most of the time someone will find me and give me orders. Until then I have freedom.’

I make a face. ‘Oh. The Omega’s back home help around the pack. We never just gave daily chores.’

Wiley sighs. ‘You also come from a very small and close knit pack. It’s different here. Trust me, you’ll understand by the end of the day.’

I tilt my head confused but a larger brown wolf walks up and growls at us. My Omega rank forces me to bow my head and tuck my tail. Wiley does the same thing.

The wolf sniffs and looks at Wiley as a gruff voice speaks over a link. ‘Chew toy, you’re needed over at Oliver’s. A pipe broke and he can’t afford to pay a plumber. Move your hide!’

Wiley dips his head. ‘Yes sir, Gamma Ray.’

My rogue self appears for a second as a growl rumbles from my throat.

Ray growls back at me before sniffing me. ‘A new Omega? And you dare growl at me?’

Wiley’s eyes widen as he looks at me. ‘It was an accident Gamma Ray. She didn’t mean it.’

The wolf looks at Wiley making him cower more. ‘She? The rug doesn’t smell like you or anyone else for that matter. Just met your mate or you trying to show the new throw rug the ropes of the pack?’

Wiley swallows but doesn’t say anything. Feeling my old self again, I stand up a little straighter. ‘Yes, I’m new around here. And I do have a mate.’