Chapter 23

A/N: Vote & Comment.

***

"Why won't you tell us what is wrong?" Her mother asked her again and again.

She had known the minute she had entered the room. Her face and blood shot eyes were a dead give away if not for her maternal instincts.

"Nothing." She picked at her food.

"Did you fight with, jamaisa?"

"Hmm." She nodded in affirmation.

"What did you even argue about?" Her mother scolded her.

She  slammed down the spoon and it clanked hard against the bowl spilling the food out. "Why do you assume that I started the fight with him?" Anger signs were visible on her face.

"Did you not? Then what makes you so infuriated?"

Ruh thought she would pull her own hair out. How her mother kept grace and cool at all times was beyond her.

"I don't know, Maasa! I thought I was protecting him and myself with the decisions I made, I didn't know it would turn out like this...." She sighed.

Just then the announcement of his arrival was made. What an impeccable timing! Ruh scoffed. The whole room fell silent as he entered with a grim look on his face.

He came and stood beside her, Ruh craned her neck and looked at him. He brought his hand forward and it held a green stalk which held a bunch of pristine white Jasmine flowers.

"I apologise for my harsh words yesterday." He said softly.

Ruh stared at the flowers. And then his eyes. He was lying. If he wanted to apologise he would've brought a rose. Not Jasmine. Jasmine symbolises purity. He was mocking her. She frowned at the flowers.

"Jamaisa... applying medicine on the wound given is uncourteous don't you think?" Her mother asked him.

Ruh's jaw dropped. Her mother was like a tigress now. She would rip him to shreds if he didn't have the right answer.

"It is. It is pointless to apologise after you hurt someone. If only there was a way to take back words, I would. But there isn't." He replied.

"Yes, there isn't. Which is why they say to speak after through thought."

He laughed pulling back his head. "Your highness, I would write you half my empire if you say there goes even one thought in a spat between spouses. As ridiculous as it may be, words are said, wounds are given, they cannot be taken back but atleast they can be nursed. The pain can be shared. Apology may not take back the wounds or the words but it is an assurance that the wounds were not inflicted on purpose."

There was a brief silence which was un nerving for her. She looked at her mother and her mother laughed.

"Your half of the kingdom is safe, jamaisa."

With that she had left leaving her in shock. He had just managed to charm her prude mother. After the room was empty except them, he threw the flower and it fell on her lap.

"That was excellent acting, shehnshah." She broke the ice.

He scoffed. "Be grateful, Shehzaadi. I did it so The Queen could be assured her daughter was happy."

She frowned. Not Ruh-Lekha. Not Ruh. Not Ruh Begum. But Shehzaadi? He was mocking her again. She wasn't a princess anymore, she was his empress. A pang of hurt stung her, he had stopped acknowledging her as his wife then.

Meanwhile he had removed his overcoat and jumped on the bed face first on the pillow. He groaned his voice muffled by the pillow.

"What are you doing?" She shrieked.

"Sleeping." His voice came out muffled.

"Why here?"

"Because I want to! Now can you keep quiet? I have just an hour to nap. I didn't sleep all night as it is." He rambled.

"Fine!" She scoffed and slumped down facing the other way.

***

A/N: I published this by mistake. So its only half of what I had planned. But then it will lead to confusion, thats why I let it be.