Chapter 46

Ruh stood in her devastated

Ruh stood in her devastated. "This is ridiculous. I am your queen." She argued with the council. It was extremely unfair that she was not even allowed to attend the funeral. Jellal had used his methods too which seemed futile. Moreover, she was separated from the child too.

Donned in black attire, she paced the room back and forth. That evening the hawk returned with a message that Salim was returning to the palace. She heaved a sigh of relief. She inquired about the outside news through her maids and they were kind enough to oblige.

"The atmosphere in the palace is very tense your majesty." Her maid whispered vary of the guards outside the chambers.

"Many suspect that there's a coup brewing inside the palace. Most of the imperial guards and the religious council are involved in the mutiny."

Ruh clutched her  comb tightly. She did not know who was planning the coup and why. All she knew was the atmosphere was already grim and soon they'd attack the royal family.

***

         It had been a week after Farookh's corpse had been buried. And a week after he had news that Nadiya had gathered enough strength to sit up straight. He felt a shred of gratitude that the child in her womb was safe.

        Inside the room were women tending to her. They bowed and left the room after he had entered. Nadiya's face lit up

     "How are you faring now?" He asked her.

      "I am well physically, Jellal. Mentally, I'm worried."

        "If you're doubting Ruh begum-"

    "No, I do know Ruh begum did not do this. Someone far more dangerous has their aim on me."

      Jellal frowned and wondered why she was talking in riddles. "Do you know who did this?"

      "Maybe. I have my doubts. Will you grant me my plea, Jellal?" She took his hand and held it.

         "What is it?"

       "Let's get married."

    He pulled away his hand in an instant like her touch had burned him. She hid her hurtful expression behind a smile,

    "I'm not saying this because I want to be your queen or I want power. I'm forced to think like a mother. Even though nothing has happened to the child, if it had happened, a good deal of people who'd've been relieved. Including me. What am I thinking bringing a bastard child into the world? You know how hard they have it in life, from your brother. Still, I'll try atleast to seek validation for him. I won't force you to marry me. The decision rests in your hands."

       Jellal wished he could think that had it been a decade before he would've gladly obliged. He knew he wouldn't have. Even a decade back there were obstacles tall enough for them to overcome. In ten years, they both had grown up; changed in more ways than one but their problems grew as well. Why did he feel as if fate always worked against them?

         "I will grant this wish of yours. I promise our child won't grow as a bastard." He patted her hand and let it go. "Now you should rest."

       As he left the room his chief advisor followed him. "I have decided to marry Nadiya tommorow. Please, look after the preparations." He ordered them.

       He had originally planned to visit Ruh but decided otherwise. He doubted if he could even face her and explain her the situation. But he sent a messenger to convey the message anyway.

***
      Deep into the night there was a light shifting noises inside her chambers. She opened her eyes and drew out the dagger she had under her pillow.

        "Don't attack. It's me." He whispered and moved into the moonlight. Ruh gasped at him. It seemed as if Salim had aged a decade. His eyes were tired and had bags under them, his whole demeanour seemed stooped, as if he had been drained of all his energy.

           "Salim, are you alright? Is Ada alright?" She fumbled and went around lighting a lamp.

        "She is the same. I believe she'll be alright." His lips stretched in a smile that did not quite reach his eyes. "But let's get to why I'm here. I heard about Farookh. And also about the upcoming wedding."

      Ruh sighed noding quite not being able to accept the situation herself. "What do I do?"

     "Tell him the truth, Ruh. I feel a war drawing close. Let us be cautious till then." He advised her.

     "Okay, as you wish." She said determined. She had to do anything to stop the wedding from happening.

     ***

       She was glad that by the hour of the wedding she had been cleared of all charges since Nadiya said she was sure Ruh begum didn't do it. Ruh found it surprising. She wondered if Nadiya knew who had did that. Once she was let go, she visited her baby in the nursery. Ila had been taking care of her for a week. She took the baby and placed him in Salim's care. He was the only person whom she could trust at the moment.

      She walked to his chambers hurriedly. He was equally shocked to see her.

     "Don't marry her." She spouted directly.

     "This time, can you trust my decisions? I understand you're insecure. I do not love her, Ruh. I am doing this for the child in her womb. I do not want to grow up as a bastard." He ranted his explanation.

      "I have no qualms against that child. But against the mother, I surely do."

    "Why are you saying such things? She is not as bad as you think."

    "No. You don't know the woman you're marrying fully. Hence, I am requesting this of you."

   "That is a strange way of showing gratitude. Need I remind you; had it not been for her you'd still be under house arrest."

      "That does not mean I'd push you knowing very well that I'd be pushing you inside a well." She argued.

   "Why? Why is this marriage a well? Answer me with the truth." He asked her seriously. She hesitated to answer. "That is what I thought." He scoffed and walked past her her.

   Ruh clutched her fingers into fists, her nails digging into her palms. She huffed a deep deep breath out and uttered out;

      "Because I am Nadiya. She is not."

***

A/N:

    Ba dum tiss!!!!

   I'm so sorry for the cliff hangers. Vote and comment. I love you guys. I think this story is soon coming to an end. I might finish it within this year.

    Have a nice day!!!!
Show your love to Till Fate.,.

,