Chapter 47

8 years ago

8 years ago...

"Maharani Devika....if you keep crying, you'll lose your mind too." The King of Ajabgarh tried to console his wife.

"How could I not, Maharaj? Why do we have to be have the ones with such an ill fate?" The Queen cried in agony after losing her last born. It was an unfortunate event that no one couldn't have predicted. The young princess' palanquin slipped and fell, hence cracking her neck which eventually led to her death.

Their pilgrimage had now turned into a dreary tragedy. Maharani Devika watched as her son dropped her ashes into the river. Though her blurry eyes, she saw something on the edge of the bank a few feet away. Her feet carried her to it. She gasped realising that it was a girl.

"Kumari? Kumari?" She called out to the unconscious child. She pulled her to her lap and felt the back of the hand wet, she gasped again when she saw it was blood. The back of her head was bleeding. "Maharaj! Majaraj!" She called frantically for her husband and urged him to help the child.

The child was rushed to their camp for medical attention. In the meantime, the king observed that his queen's sobbing had consequently reduced, she was more worried about the child they had found on the river bank.

The child woke up two days later with no recollection of the past whatsoever. "What is my name?" She asked first.

"Your name is Ruh Lekha. You're my daughter and the princess of Ajabgarh. You hit your head when your palanquin fell due to an accident." The Queen answered. The king watched her furiously, he did not know whether his queen had actually gone insane or she was doing this on purpose.

"You shouldn't have done this, Maharani!" He yelled at her once they were in solitude.

"Forgive me Maharaj. But I think us finding that child is god's gift of a new hope. Can't you see that that child looks exactly like our Ruh? She has black hair and her eyes are black too, like our Ruh."

The king grunted in remorse but he couldn't deny his queen. The child was the only one who was keeping her from the brim of insanity. He let the child take the identity of a princess.

Later that night, the maid looking after the child visited the queen,

"We found this on her ankle, your highness. Only one, the other one must've slipped somewhere." She presented the queen with a anklet, a thin design which wound like roses and encrusted with rubies.

***

Present Day