Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Something was tickling my nose, and a loud motor-like sound rang in my ears, but I couldn't quite place what it was. I rolled over in bed and buried my face into the pillow.

There, that was better.

No. Now something wet was licking my ear.

What?

Awareness suddenly flashed through my mind, and I bolted up, snatching the covers protectively around me as I hunted for the intruder.

My assailant was invisible for a moment—until it moved—and I laughed in surprise when a large, fluffy cat climbed the blanket and nuzzled under my chin.

"Well, hello," I said, amazed to find my unexpected visitor. "Where'd you come from?"

As if in answer to my question, the cat looked toward the window, and I saw I'd left it open.

"Oh. Well, whose kitty are you?" I stroked the long white fur.

The cat stretched and placed both paws on either side of my neck nuzzling against me as if it were hugging me. I laughed while I checked the cat for a collar or identification. There was none.

"Well, I'm sure someone is missing you. Maybe I should advertise I found such a pretty girl . . . or are you a boy?"

The white ball of fur then proceeded to drop down to my lap and rolled onto its back. I scratched its belly.

"I see you're a female," I said, laughing.

It was almost like this cat could understand everything I was saying. I gathered the ball of fluff and proceeded to pad into the hall, following the delicious breakfast smells to the kitchen.

"You're up early," Grandma said without turning from the stove.

"I was awakened by a visitor," I replied, laughing. Grandma turned, noticing the giant cat in my arms.

"Oh!" She removed the pan from the heat and came to stroke the animal. "Well, that happened fast!"

"What did?" I asked, not following.

"This cat is your familiar," she said knowingly.

"My what?"

"Your familiar," she said again happily, scratching its ear. "A familiar is a witch's spiritual helper."

"I left the window open," I explained. "She just wandered in."

Grandma smiled. "A familiar chooses the witch, not the other way around."

"How do we know she's not simply someone's lost cat?"

"Ask her to do something for you. If she does it, you'll have your answer."

I paused for a minute, thinking this task was harder than it sounded. I'd never asked a cat to do something before.

"Cat," I said, feeling more than a little dumb. I looked around and spied several leaves on the grass outside. "Bring me a leaf." I wondered what in the world I was doing.

The cat jumped from my arms, pushed the screen open with her nose and ran into the yard. A few moments later she was back at the door meowing to get in. I opened it, and the cat bowed its head to pick something up and trotted into the room. It dropped a leaf at my feet.

"Well, paint me purple and call me stupid," I muttered in complete amazement.

"Don't talk like that! You might jinx yourself someday," Grandma said sternly.