Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"No! Stop!" I screamed into the darkness as I ran, my lungs aching from breathing heavily. I couldn't get away. The fog swirled around me as I glanced over my shoulder, and Damien Cummings stepped out of the mist into view.

"Hello, Portia," he said, an evil smile stretching across his face as he stalked toward me.

"Nooo!" I screamed, turning to run again.

"Portia!" Vance's voice called out in the gloominess that surrounded me. "Portia! Wake up!"

My body was shaking, and I slowly realized it was Vance trying to wake me. Blinking several times, I attempted to focus.

We were still in his bedroom, the dim lamplight casting an angelic-looking halo around Vance's form as he cradled me in his arms, a worried look on his face.

Grabbing him, I clung desperately and started sobbing.

"It's all right now," he whispered into my hair as he placed tiny kisses against my forehead. "It was just a nightmare. You're safe right here with me. I won't let him hurt you."

My tears dripping against his bare skin, but he didn't rush me, letting me step firmly back into reality, before leaning against his pillows and taking a good look at me.

"I'm sorry," I said, looking at him through red swollen eyes, before wiping my tears off his damp chest.

"Don't apologize. You have nothing to be sorry for. I'm the one who should be asking for your forgiveness."

"For what?" I said, completely confused.

"For dragging you and your family into this mess," he replied with a frustrated glance.

"It isn't your fault." I sighed. "You had no idea what was happening either."

"Maybe not, but it's my flesh and blood which seem to be causing all the psychotic problems in your life lately," he reminded me, and I knew he felt truly sorry about it.

"If that's what I have to deal with to be with you, then so be it," I replied, laying my head against him and wrapping my arm around his waist, giving him a small squeeze.

He didn't say anything. His fingers ran over the rubber tie that held my braid. After a few seconds, he pulled the band off and began running his hands through my still partially-damp hair until it laid spread out across his body.

"You're so beautiful," he said softly, his hand continuing to stroke the strands in a manner I found very relaxing. "Sometimes I still can't believe you want me as much as I want you."

"Well, believe it, because it's true," I responded, lightly rubbing his exposed bicep, which rippled handsomely with every movement he made, sending happy tiny shivers of attraction down my spine.

"What am I going to do, Portia?" he asked in muted exasperation. "I have no idea how to stop him, but I can't let this continue either."

"Don't worry about it right now," I replied, trying to think of a way to calm him as he was calming me. "We'll talk things over in the morning with everyone else and see if we can come up with something."

"I do worry about it. We can't have a real future until I figure out a way to fix this. I've been awake all night trying to outline some sort of plan. I'm at a complete loss."

"You've been awake all night?" I asked, lifting my head to look at him, worried he wasn't getting any rest.

He nodded. "I was watching you sleep," he said with a half-smile. "You make such sweet expression when you're dreaming."