Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Quickly, we went to work on the woman, laying her flat on her back on the deck, while Dad checked her.

"She has a pulse, but she isn't breathing!" he said and slightly tilted her head back and began to blow into her mouth.

Brad and I watched him work quickly with her. After a few breaths, the woman started coughing violently, and water began gurgling out. Rolled onto her side so the liquid could drain without choking her again, she took several gasps of breath.

"Brad, ask one of the guys if they have any oxygen onboard," I said, knowing she needed extra help.

He relayed the message to the three remaining fishermen onboard who looked at him with wide eyes like he was crazy.

"I think they're in shock," he replied with a shake of his head. "They aren't answering me. I'll go check for some in the cabin."

A squeal from the men caused us to turn as Vance, dripping wet, dragged an equally soaked Enrico back onboard the vessel. Vance sat Enrico down with the others and touched each of them, effectively freezing their bodies with a spell to keep them from moving. He sloshed his way across the deck and knelt at my side.

"How is she?" he asked, panting slightly.

"She isn't conscious yet," I said. "She had a lot of water in her lungs."

"Heal her," he stated, glancing at me.

"What?" I asked in shock, his words not really registering.

"Heal her," he replied again, wiping his dripping hair away from his face. "I don't want to try it while I'm having these demonic reactions. I don't know if they'd affect my magic."

I nodded in understanding before turning to the woman. I placed my hands gently on both sides of her head, letting my energy flow into her. The soft white light moved quickly throughout her body as it searched out the areas in need of attention. When the transfer was finished, I removed my hands and sat back.

A few seconds later she slowly opened her eyes and looked around, flinching visibly when she saw Vance leaning over her.

"You're all right now," I said, nodding my head toward him. "He saved you from drowning."

"What happened?" she asked with a cough, the accent of her native Indian tongue coming through.

"You were the victim of dark magic tonight, and you've lost all your powers through something called a demon kiss. Your body was discarded into the ocean afterwards," I explained.

"Where am I?"

"You're in Mexico, on a fishing boat in the Sea of Cortez," I replied as she stared at me.

She glanced back warily at Vance again. "He isn't a demon?" she asked with trepidation creeping into her voice, her nervousness apparent.

"No," I said shaking my head. "Someone tried to change him, though, and he still suffers from reactions to the near conversion." I wanted to help her relax and not fear him.

She watched him for a moment as if trying to decide whether or not to believe what I was saying.

"Thank you then," she finally replied, her gaze holding his own. "And I'm sorry for your suffering."

"I'm fine," he said with a slight smile. "I just want to make sure you're all right."

"Would you object to coming back to shore with us and telling our coven what has happened to you?" my dad asked gently. "We're trying to stop the person who did this."