Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I stumbled, running blindly through the swampland, and though the ground was lush with foliage, my soles still ripped from sharp things I stepped on.

Mossy vines hanging from the trees seemed as if they were grabbing, twisting around me like poisonous snakes hoping to snatch me up. I struggled against them until I broke free, taking off running again.

Feet stinging as I ran through some shallow water, I prayed to the heavens there were no alligators waiting to snap at me with their powerful jaws. Attempting to navigate myself back toward dry land, I didn't even know if I headed in the right direction.

My lungs seemed about to burst from trying to breathe, the humidity so thick it was like drinking the air. I briefly wished for the dry heat of Arizona, not used to this environment or operating under such conditions.

Even in my panicked, fleeing state, I still knew the exact moment that Vance came to in his demon frenzy. His mind was completely open and linked with mine, flashing images at me like I was standing there.

The shock exploded through me, threatening to destroy my heart as his bloodlust boiled quickly to the surface, consuming him. He was pretty much incoherent with rage when he sprang up from the table and stormed toward the watching women. I heard Catriona call out to him, trying to explain, but he didn't even pause, using a magical burst of power to throw her against the wall.

She hit hard, slumping to the floor, and she hurriedly tried to regain her footing. He attacked in an instant, dragging her to her feet before sinking his teeth into her, tearing flesh from her throat and then snapping her neck, all while sucking her powers from her. I didn't feel sorry for her. I was more worried about the fact he actually enjoyed the sensation of her blood running through his hands and the surge of power he'd felt. He liked killing her.

He turned, intent on taking another victim, but had a moment of hesitation when he stepped toward Mayla. Though he seethed and raged inside, something in him connected with her, and she met his stare unflinching. He left her living and immediately sought me out with his mind.

He was thirsty.

Through sheer force of willpower I kept moving, knowing he was coming after me, tracking by thoughts and our physical pull. Fear bubbled up in my throat, and his anticipation reacted instantly to my response. He knew he could catch me, but he was excited for the chase.

Pausing for a second, I glanced around frantically trying to spot something, anything that would give me a clue to a direction to go, or a place to hide. Nothing greeted me but the darkness of this completely foreign world.

I took off again, trying to shut my mind against him as I moved, a skill I'd never mastered, or even wanted to until this very moment. I tried to just concentrate on running and not on the things I was seeing. I couldn't afford to give him any extra help.

My body was fading fast, having been pushed beyond its limits. I stumbled again, reaching for a nearby tree and I struggled to pull myself back up. I sucked in a couple deep breaths of air before I ran forward once more, the trees moving past me in a blur. I stepped into a patch of mud and slipped, crying out as I fell backward, hitting my head on something hard with a loud crack.

Stars began to spin before me and then everything went black.

I had no idea how much time had passed when I woke to a painful throbbing. While trying to grasp onto reality, I lifted my hand, touching the giant lump near the base of my skull with an involuntary moan.