Book 4: The Dark Rising - Prologue

Prologue

A lifetime of things happened in the eleven months since I turned sixteen, some of which I believed to be wholly impossible.

Memories of the entire year passed through my mind now, as if on fast forward, in one unbelievable second. The first day I noticed Vance Mangum watching me—our first kiss, and the moment he declared his undying love for me. Images of our wedding and the many times he held me so close in his arms swirled around in my head.

All of this, on top of receiving the news I was actually a witch descended from a long line of witches and warlocks, made for one unimaginable year. As if the family secret wasn't enough, much to my astonishment, I discovered Vance was a warlock, too . . . a very powerful one.

I didn't know then the appearance of Vance in my life would so completely turn things upside down. While our relationship was filled with many moments that were like a dream come true, most of our time together was tangled in an ever-threatening web of lies and deceit. Some of those deceptions nearly cost us our lives—and eventually, one did cost Vance his, bringing us both to this moment tonight, when I realized with an aching heart . . .Vance had changed.