Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"What?" I said reaching out for the table, the room suddenly starting to reel.

Vance knelt in front of me, grabbing my arms, shaking me slightly in his grip.

"Don't you get it?" he replied, staring. "Combining my blood with yours will make the white witch blood even stronger than mine. The awakening goes to the white witch with the purest blood. That would be our child."

"No," I said, shaking my head. My hand went protectively over my stomach. Noticing my reaction, he placed his hand over mine where it rested.

"You realize there's a chance you could be pregnant already, right?" he added, searching my eyes frantically. "Unless you've been doing something to prevent it from happening that I'm not aware of, that is."

"I haven't," I replied, and the tears began to slowly roll down my face. "There wasn't time. We didn't know we were going to get married when we did, and I didn't think about it." I felt stupid.

Standing, he turned away from me, running both of his hands through his hair before clenching it into fistfuls.

"And stupid me, I had to jump right in there, not even giving a thought about any real protection. I mean I've been trying to be careful, but . . . ," his voice trailed off, and he ran his hands down over his face. "How could I be such an idiot? Arrrgh! It all makes sense now! They were feeding me the stupid champagne to bring up the demon lust. Just a little at a time. Not enough to turn me, where I'd hurt you, but just enough to drive me insane with desire."

"They'll keep doing it, too," Krista added, and he turned to face her. "I can guarantee you they'll put it in your food and drink. That's why they have you in this cell together. They want to manipulate you into being with her."

Rubbing his temples as if he were suffering from a horrible headache, Vance released a low growl. "As if they had to manipulate me! I haven't been able to keep my hands off her, even without the bloodlust," he said, looking sadly at me. I knew the conclusion he had come to in that very moment. "We have to stop. We can't be together like that at all—just in case you aren't pregnant now. Hopefully it hasn't happened, but we have to find out."

I nodded, even though my heart was breaking at the thought of not being able to be with him physically. We'd already waited so long for the opportunity to be together. Now, just when we finally reached that spot in our relationship, we were losing it. All because of some evil scheme his family had cooked up again. Aside from Krista, I could safely say, I wasn't real impressed with his family so far.

Coming over and kneeling in front of me, he laid his head in my lap, wrapping his arms around my waist. "I'm so sorry, Portia," he said, some of the angst coming from him enveloping me, too. "I'm so sorry." I ran my fingers gently through his hair as he lay there, trying to think of a way to calm him.

"It isn't your fault," I responded softly, though my voice was shaking. "We just need to try and find a way out of this situation."

Lifting his head, he looked over at Krista. "Mom, is there anything you can think of? Some way we can combine the strength of all three of our powers? We have to escape this place! And we need to do it together!"

A sad look passed over her features and she shook her head. "I can't help you. I don't have any powers anymore, Vance," she replied, her voice laced with regret.

"What?" he asked shocked.

"Damien performed a demon kiss on me." She cast her eyes downward. "It was his way of punishing me for not telling him where you were."