Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Morning found me wrapped in Vance's arms, my back against his chest. I didn't know if he was awake yet or not, so I chose to lie motionless, trying not to disturb him. It spoke volumes that he was still here with me, and I wondered if having my blood twice yesterday was helping with his control.

Needing to reconsider things due to the circumstances, I saw I was the obvious choice for him to feed on. He couldn't do any long-term damage to me, and I couldn't be changed into a demon. If I continued to let him drink from me at regular intervals, it would keep him from searching out blood from a different source—possibly killing, or turning, another witch or warlock.

Originally, I abhorred the idea of doing this, since all of my past experiences with demons revolved around the fact that feeding on blood was bad. But now, because we'd received the Awakening, I'd become the perfect candidate.

I also wasn't too keen on experiencing the pain of his bite over and over again. Last night, though, was different. I'd almost desired the sting instead of fearing it. Maybe there was something to the aspect of allowing him to feed in the throes of passion.

A slight flush crept up over my skin as I remembered my wantonness. The experience had been wonderful—amazing—for both of us, and I was sure we had our recent increase in powers to thank for it. Truthfully, I was greatly anticipating any repeat performance he might want to give me.

Putting my mind back to task, I realized Vance and I needed to have a serious talk. I hoped he would be in a good mental place when he woke up, because I really wanted to work this situation out between us. If he were willing, we could perhaps try to stave off the demon tendencies that threatened to drive him crazy by training him to bring the white witch and Awakening qualities to the forefront.

He had to be on board with it though. I knew demons enjoyed showing their powers and proving their superiority to others. That would be a hard trait to overcome, but then again, there had never been a demon like Vance before . . . ever. He'd become a magical race unto himself.

Stirring slightly next to me, he released a deep breath and I waited for a moment, wondering if he would say anything, but he didn't. Taking a chance, I carefully rolled over so I could look at him, finding him staring at me through half lidded, red eyes.

"Good morning," I whispered, trying to gage his mood by feeling for his emotions.

He didn't respond, continuing to stare at me.

"Are you alright?" I asked, lightly touching his face.

Suddenly he moved, grabbing my hand in a vise-like grip and my breath caught at the action. His gaze never left me while he twisted my arm, bringing it toward his mouth, sinking his teeth into the artery at my wrist.

I winced, closing my eyes and clenched my jaw, though I didn't protest though while he drank, simply hoping he would have some sense of restraint. Recovering from blood loss took a lot of energy, not to mention the amount of time.

To my surprise, he only fed for a moment before he released me and I opened my eyes, watching my skin heal over like he had never been there.

Staring at him, I raised an eyebrow, surprised.

"Good morning," he replied, watching me closely.

"Is it hard for you to stop?" I asked, wanting to learn more about him.

"Yes, it's very difficult." His eyes flitted over my face.

"Why did you then?" I was totally curious.