Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Dad began laying out the plans for the day.

"Brad and Shelly, you're going to be joggers running on the street in front of Bell Tower Hall. I'm going to have you place a surveillance camera near the entrance so we can watch the comings and goings at the property.

"While you're doing that, I'm going to be setting up some equipment that will relay the signal from that camera back to here. Stacey and Mom, I want the two of you to alternate driving up and down the road, in case Shelly and Brad need to make a quick getaway for any reason."

"And what about us?" Vance asked.

"You're staying here, where it's safe. I need you to make sure we get a clear signal on the monitor here and let me know."

Manning the fort. Vance was going to go crazy having to stay behind, but this was one time I agreed with Dad. I didn't want Vance anywhere near those people.

The others left, and Vance and I sat down on the couch. "You want to watch some television?" Vance asked absently, picking up the remote and clicking it toward the large set. "I imagine it'll be a while before they need us."

"That's fine."

Vance put his arm on the back of the couch and his feet up on the coffee table. Leaning over, I put my head in his lap. He continued clicking the remote, but moved his other hand down, running his fingers through my hair over and over. I wondered if he even knew what he was doing, or if it was just a natural reflex with him, but it felt good nonetheless. It was extremely relaxing.

Restless, he didn't linger long on any one channel, surfing his way through the entire selection. I closed my eyes when he started the process over, just enjoying being next to him even if he was a little agitated.

I didn't realize I had fallen asleep until I felt him move gently from underneath me, laying me softly back onto the sofa.

Slowly, I opened my eyes, seeing him walk over to the monitor, which was right next to the television, and adjust a few knobs. Suddenly a picture of Douglas and Fiona's driveway snapped clearly onto the screen.

"Got it, Sean," he spoke into a small handheld walkie talkie Dad left for us.

"Is the picture clear?" my dad's voice came back.

"Looks perfect," Vance said, watching the screen intently.

"Great," Dad's voice crackled over the radio. "We'll be back shortly. You want to take the first shift?"

"No problem. I've got it under control." Placing the radio next to the monitor, he headed back to the sofa. "Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you," he said, a soft expression of regret on his face.

Gently lifting my head into his lap, he scooted back beside me and I snuggled comfortably up against him once again.

"How long was I asleep?" I asked with a yawn.

"About forty-five minutes. Everything is done now. The others should be back shortly."

"I heard." I continued to lie in his lap, and he absently stroked my face and hair while he alternated between watching the water sports on the television and watching the monitor. They were close enough together we could easily keep tabs on both. We sat in comfortable silence until the rest of the family came into the room.

"See anything yet?" Dad asked excitedly and I could totally tell he was in his government agent mode.

"Not a thing," Vance replied. "But I did have a question."